Sunday, February 25, 2007

I like "Fluff" books...Sue Me

After reading in article in a Pages magazine where the author states that librarians shouldn't allow their patrons to read books that are mindless....which just reminded me that I have had so many people tell me that some of the books I read simply shouldn't be classified as "good reading." What the heck do they know? Yes, I enjoy an occasional Nicholas Sparks book. Yes, I do like Debbie Macomber and her small town series about people who have problems that are always solved by the end of the book. Why is that so wrong? I still enjoy the meaty stuff, but sometimes we really just need a completely predicatable plot with a happy ending to show us that reading can still be lightheated. So much of my "main" reading consists of heavy books, books that make my mind tick and my thoughts run rampant, which I love. I really enjoy being able to think about characters and wonder what is going to happen next, but is there really anything wrong with a book that is mindless and results in no thinking whatsoever? Mind you, I do not read Danielle Steel. I do not read Nora Roberts. I do not read Harlequin Romance novels...however, SO WHAT if I want to! Reading is supposed to be fun and relaxing, not boring and something we are forced to do. Therefore, if you want to read a good, juicy romance novel that has some chick baring it all (almost) on the cover, then read away!

4 comments:

Faith said...

Hi, Amanda. I found you through Erin, who I found through Sarah Beth Durst.

Anyway, I completely agree with you about fluff books. My sister and I call them brain candy. While we were finishing up our B.A. degrees, both of us would invariably indulge in a brain candy binge after finals each semester. Just like regular candy, there's nothing wrong with a bit of brain candy, provided that it's not all you ingest.

Have a good one!

Jackie said...

Wait - they actually said that we shouldn't allow them? That's insane. Oh- I just googled them. They are in Chapter 11. Clearly they were out of touch.

Tiny Little Librarian said...

Wow, librarians shouldn't "allow" people to read fluff? Doesn't that kinda go against that whole intellectual freedom thingding?

I just saw The Notebook and darned if both it and the book didn't give me a good cry like no other! :)

I love fluff and I'm not ashamed to admit it!!

Amanda said...

YAY for fluff!