Saturday, March 17, 2007

Back in Sunny New Mexico

Well after a week of wedding planning and visiting, I need a whole new vacation! We certainly got a lot accomplished in a very short 7 days, but we weren't able to visit with everyone we wanted to, nor were we able to relax. It is a nice consolation to know that we will be back in May for our wedding and then we will have the opportunity to see everyone...not to mention have a great big party!

As for reading, I didn't get a whole lot done (no surprise there). I read on the long drive to the Tucson airport, finishing Summer of Light by W. dale Cramer, then again on the plane ride to NY finishing The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs, and finally on the plane ride home, finishing Blue Water by A. Manette Ansay and Ever After by Karen Kingsbury. Unfortunately I cannot say that I really enjoyed any of them. Knowing that I would be busy in NY and my only time to read would be en route, I chose very light reading, women's fiction for those times. Ansay's book was incredibly boring and both Kingsbury and Jacobs produced books that were a little too sappy for my liking. If you're gonna do tragedy, do tragedy, don't soften it up! The only really likable book was Cramer's, that being quite unexpected. It was a bit of women's fiction/christian fiction, but written from a man's perspective. Not quite Charles Martin, but pretty decent all the same.

I plan to get into some meatier selections this week, including Gatsby (for the 4th time) and some other classics. I am also going to try and work on this Banned Book Challenge and get some FINALLY break into my new Jodi Picoult book. For those of you who read closely, you'll know she's my favorite author and since she only publishes once a year, I savor her books as long as possible! It's great to be back...look for a review post tonight or tomorrow!


Katya said...

There's a Banned Book Challenge? When I had my first child I started collecting banned books for him just in case they weren't available at the library. I go back and forth on Gatsby -- sometimes I like it sometimes I don't.

Faith said...

I'm glad you're back!! :) Sorry the books were disappointing, though. I'm looking forward to your reviews. I've got at least 3 or 4 to review myself, if I ever find time.