Thursday, March 1, 2007

Banned Books Challenge

This will be my first challenge as a new blogger and I'm excited to participate! I love being challenged to read books, especially those I may not read otherwise. I really would have loved to get in on the Classics Challenge, due to the definitive lack of Classics reading I do (um... none), but I was a little late for that, so that classics will have to wait until 2008. As for this challenge, I quickly signed up to read five. Though that seems low, I have so many other things I want to read that I felt throwing five extra in there wouldn't hurt too much, but would be a good mind stimulator. For those of you that read my 100 Book Meme, you will see that I loathe the book The Great Gatsby, yet I've placed it on my challenge list. I figure, I've read it three times and simply couldn't bring myself to like it, yet I can't give you a single reason why. I just don't like it. Maybe, by reading it from the perspective of someone trying to figure out what was so wrong with the plot that it had to be challenged and banned from many schools, I may like it a little bit better. I will certainly let you know. I can't wait to see what other people decide to read for this challenge!

5 comments:

Woeful said...

Remember, the eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg will be watching...

Happy Villain said...

Yay, someone else!!! I hated The Great Gatsby as well. I've hated many acclaimed novels that it's starting to concern me. I have a particular loathing for Catcher in the Rye and House Made of Dawn. BLUCK! I destroyed the books when I finally finished them. Good luck with the challenge and getting through books you hated. You have a stronger constitution than I do. :)

Faith said...

Anything to do with Banned Books, and you've caught my eye. The banning of books is just anathema to me. I don't get, and never will, why someone says, well gee, I disapprove of that, so no one can read it. !! Sheesh!! So yes, I'll sign up for the challenge. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I love The Great Gatsby, or at least I used to, but as I mentioned when I did the 100 Books thing, I had a 3-4 year love-affair with Fitzgerald starting when I was a junior in high school. However, I strongly suspect that I'd find it tough to swallow now.

And, like happy villain, I detest Catcher in the Rye.

Faith said...

Okay, I signed up, and also did a meme. I don't know if it's an original one, but check it out anyway. http://chauceriangirl.blogspot.com/2007/03/banned-books-challenge.html

Amanda said...

See now, I hated Gatsby, but loved Catcher in the Rye. I love this whole blogging thing just for the reason that there are SO many different opinions!