Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Give me an "L"

About a week ago, I found this meme on Heather's page...it's one of those fun "get-to-know-you" memes that will probably teach you more about me than you all care to know, however it's fun for me to do! All I had to do was request a letter and once received, I tell you all 10 things I love that start with that letter. I was handed an "L," so here are my 10 items I just love, all beginning with L, in no particular order.

1. Literature: well, yeah, that's kind of a given. However, I do have to say that I wasn't always in love with literature, I was more of a "quick read" gal. Over the past few years I have come to appreciate and truly love a good piece of literature, a feat I'm sure all of you can agree with me on.

2. Lindt Chocolate Truffles: For the male readers that I have, if any, they are probably all saying "typical woman." Well, yes, I am certainly typical in that sense. I love chocolate, all kinds except white, and truffles are my favorite. If you're going to have a truffle, might as well be a nice, fancy one from Lindt. They melt in your mouth and are just SO good!

3. Lilacs: Nothing says spring to me like the smell of lilacs in the backyard. This is my first year being in New Mexico, where lilacs just don't grow and I know that I will miss that smell so much come May. Every night at dusk my mother would cut a few lilac stalks off the tree and bring them into the house, making everything smell like spring...that will always be one of my favorite memories.

4. Lighthouses: I have no idea where my fascination of lighthouses began, but I just love them. They are so beautiful, yet so useful. I have seen most in Florida, most in Maine, and a bunch in Oregon and California, though I still have hundreds in the US that I have yet to visit. My favorite one so far is Heceta Head Lighthouse in Oregon. It is just breathtaking, especially at sunset.

5. Libraries: Someone put it very nicely in their blog the other day when they said it's like a toy store for kids where they can pick out as many toys as they want for free. Libraries are just like that for book lovers. So many choices, all free! Whenever I am traveling, I make it a point to stop in the library in whatever town I am in.

6. Lemon Bars: Between these and the Lindt truffles, can you tell I have a major sweet tooth? I love lemon bars, especially those with whipped cream on top, though these are a treat I can only have a few bites of before the richness sets in.

7. Ladies-Night-Out: I have been best friends with the same group of girls since middle school and now, being that I'm in NM, one is in Alabama, another in Pennsylvania, and the last still in New York, our ladies nights out are even more special. We congregate together once a year or so, have a few drinks and some food and laugh the night away. We love each other like sisters and we have such a blast together!

8. Little Pea: This is probably one of my all-time favorite children's books. I just did a review of it a few days ago and I have it on order for my own personal collection. It is one selection I cannot wait to read to my own children one day.

9. "Life is Beautiful": My absolute favorite movie. For those of you who have not seen it, it is the story of a Jewish man, placed in a concentration camp during the Holocaust. His young son is with him and in order to prevent his son from being frightened, the man makes the entire experience into a game. It is a beautiful story, though it is in Italian, so subtitle reading is necessary (but completely worth it).

10. Love: call me a sappy romantic, but I love love! I have been with my fiance for a very long time and it just gets better every, single day. Everyone has always said that once you get used to each other, the "honeymoon period" ends. Well, that has never happened to us, even after 7 years, and I just am completely blessed at what I have been given in terms of love. I am sooo looking forward to May 12th when I can actually become a wife instead of just a fiancee!

Well, there you have it! These memes are fun and really do help us get to know each other! I will continue the game, which Heather began, so if you would like a letter, let me know and I'll give you one!

6 comments:

Faith said...

May I please have a letter? This sounds fun!!

Faith

Amanda said...

It is fun! I'll give you an "R."

Spin_Doc1 said...

I had L almost a year ago and included Love and Libraries, and my number one was learn. The letter L is an easy one, q, x or z might really be hard.

Amanda said...

It may be an easy one, but it was still fun!

Andi said...

Oooh, lemon bars are one of my favorite things. And the odd part is that I usually don't care for lemon, but lemon bars are heavenly. :)

booklogged said...

Amanda, so many of your L's are the same as mine. I love literature, Lindt truffles (especially the mint ones), lilacs, lighthouses, libraries and love. I don't love lemon bars, haven't heard of Little Pea or Life is Beautiful.