Sunday, March 4, 2007

I caught myself a good one...

I am not typically a "book buyer," though I certainly would love to be. I purchase books by authors that I love or books that I have previously read and just had to have for my own collection. My very meager salary does not normally allow me to buy whatever is on my TBR list, with the hopes that I will like it, however, I do have something called a "fantastic fiance" that loves to buy things for me, most recently choosing books. He never used to buy me books, always afraid of getting something I've read and not liked, no matter how many times I've insisted that a book he has chosen would be the most thoughtful and special gift he could give me, resulting in a lack of book gifts over the last six years or so. This past Friday however, we made the hour and a half trip into El Paso in order to pick up my wedding dress (no worries, he didn't see a thing) due to the fact that we are flying home to New York next week and I need to take the dress with me for those all important alterations (namely the foot they need to take off the bottom to accommodate my short height). I was already in a fantastic mood, being that I now had possession of this very expensive garment that I will proceed to wear for a total of 6 hours or so, not to mention we were having dinner at P.F. Chang's our all-time favorite restaurant. While we were waiting for our dinner reservation time, we just happened to be browsing in the bookstore (no "happening" about it, it's my favorite place besides the library) and Aaron (the fiance), just made my night when he told me I could pick out a book and he would buy it for me, a very big deal, being that we've been VERY money deprived since this whole wedding deal came about. I couldn't choose between two, so he just bought me both. I love that guy! I have been blessed with a man that doesn't mind buying books instead of lingerie and loves that my bookshelves at home are overflowing with things that he has nothing to do with. He is so great and I really am lucky to be marrying him (of course for reasons other than book buying). Unfortunately, now my "plane ride" books have just increased by two, already being some 10 deep, but I'm sure I will find time to fit in my newbies. I'll let ya'll know how The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle and Blue Water by A. Mannette Ansay are.

3 comments:

Faith said...

Amanda,

Sounds fantastic! You've got a real winner there! Do report back on the books--I'm always on the prowl for good books.

When's the wedding?

Faith

Amanda said...

We are getting married back in NY on May 12th....it's getting so close!

Faith said...

Awesome! It is definitely getting close. Well, congratulations! I'm very, very happy for you.