Friday, March 23, 2007

I love fun games like this!

Over at Kailana's site, she has made a fun game out of sharing the Top Ten books we simply could not live without. I really had to think about this for awhile, simply because there are tons of books that I deem as fantastic, yet I believe I could live without them. After some narrowing down, I came up with a list that exhibits not only my taste in books, but my love of tragic stories. Of course, there are a few thrown in that aren't tragic, but for the most part, tearjerkers. If you've read these books you know what I mean...either way, I can't live without these:

1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
2. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
3. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
4. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
5. The Giver by Lois Lowry
6. The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
7. When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin
8. P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern
9. Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock
10. Once, I Ate a Pie by Patricia MacLachlan

So there you have it. I love books that make me sob hysterically, but have an excellent plot, I love children's books (hence the "Once I Ate a Pie"), and the occasional semi-chick lit book, found in Ahern. I would love to know what you all think of my choices, but be nice! I know some of you are Picoult haters, just don't hate me for loving her! Once again, thanks to Kailana for creating a fun will be great to see your lists!


3M said...

The Book Thief was on my list as well.

Sorry about your library situation!

Amanda said...

Oh you know, we all have those times where we just hate our jobs. As for reading the Book Thief, I loved that book. It is seriously, the best book I've ever read. Glad you liked it too!

booklogged said...

Hello. I've read and loved the first five on your list, heard of #6, and haven't heard of the last four. I'll pull out my TBR list and add them.

I'm looking forward to Picoult's Nineteen Minutes.

Amanda said...

The last four are great, you really should add them to your TBR! Once I Ate a Pie should be read last b/c it will make you laugh so hard you will forget all the tears you cried over the other books! Plus it's a picture book and will only take all of 3 minutes. :-)

Deena said...

Oh, I just LOVE you!!!! When Crickets Cry was so amazingly wonderful...Charles Martin just has a beautiful way with words, doesn't he?? He has a new one coming out this spring...called
Chasing Fireflies...can't wait!!

Chris said...

I really enjoyed Lovely Bones. It was very different- especially the ending.

Zeek said...

Heh! It's fun reading everone's list and getting ideas! I see the Book Thief keeps showing up- I'm adding it to my wishlist!!

Stephanie said...

I LOVED The Book Thief! If I had more than 10, it would have made it in my list! I happen to love Jodi Picoult. My Sister's Keeper left me in tears!

Katya said...

The Book Thief is on my bedside table to be read after The Golden Compass -- I'm looking forward to it.

I love The Secret Life of Bees.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I recently (within the month) read both Secret Life of Bees and My Sister's Keeper. Good reads, both (but they didn't make my top ten). The Giver I read awhile ago; I think I'm missing something important in that book because I was disappointed in it.

I have PS I Love You on Mt. TBR. Unfortunately, it'll be awhile before I get to it.

Happy reading!

lifelongreader said...

Looks like I need to add a copy of The Book Thief to my tower of TBR books.

I have 4 books lined up for a week off :)

Lisa writes... said...

Love Charles Martin and LOVE "When Crickets Cry." Have you read his other novels? All are absolutely wonderful!

soleil said...

wow, i am not familiar with half of those books and i consider myself a lifelong avid reader. i just wanted to say that i LOVED the lovely bones. she is an amazing writer and it was a wonderfully complex and yes, tragic, story that made me ball my eyes out. i just picked up sebold's lucky the other day. it is her memoir about her rape and recovery. it has the tragic element but i am sure it will be a good read.

ps-i like your blog.