Saturday, March 31, 2007

The promised reviews

I have been a little slow on the reviews lately due to lots of fun memes and a couple not-so-good days this week, so today I decided I would sit down and review a couple of favorites. I am well into Inkheart and Little Town on the Prairie, but not quite close to finishing either one, so I'm going back in time a little and reviewing three of my all-time favorite books. I have selected one children's book, one YA, and one adult novel to review and would love to know your thoughts on the ones you too have read. First up:

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett
This was the first book I can remember falling in love with as I learned to read back in about 1986 or so. My mother would read this book to me every night before bed and I memorized it, later using that memorization to teach myself to read.
The town of Chewandswallow is like any other town, except for one simple thing. Their weather. The weather changes three times a day: at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, each "change" being a different meal raining down from the sky. No ordinary snow or rain for this town! Hamburgers, mashed potatoes, and pancakes were regular occurrences in the Chewandswallow weather system! One day, the weather takes a turn for the worse and the food raining down becomes bigger and bigger until it takes over the town. A pancake covers the school, a pea soup fog rolls in and spaghetti floods the streets. The town must figure out a way to escape this food nightmare and fast!

This is such an entertaining read for children and adults. I still pull my old, battered copy out from time to time to reacquaint myself with Chewandswallow.

Next up:

The Same Stuff as Stars by Katherine Paterson
This novel is incredibly moving throughout. Young Angel Morgan and her little brother Bernie are scared. Their father is in jail and their mother decides one day to drop them off at their Grandmother's house, one they've never met, and just drive away. Angel and Bernie must learn to adapt in their new home with a woman who seems not to want them, while they try and understand why everyone that loves them leaves.

This is a no doubt a sad story, but an enormously satisfying one at that. The reader gets to watch Angel fall in love with books, reading, and the art of learning astronomy while she builds relationships with the town librarian and "the man who knows the stars."

Cloud Nine by Luanne Rice

Rice is one author that I always seem to love, even though I am not much of a "romance genre" fan. Her characters just seem so real and true to form and her stories just snatch you up and won't let you go. This selection is by far my favorite of hers.

Sarah is a cancer survivor, one who has taken her life back in full force and opened a bedding shop, Cloud Nine. A simple birthday present from friends turns into a match of kindred spirits that form a close bond very quickly. Sarah and Will work together to help each other grow as people, as well as heal from old wounds, all while the unknown future looms ominously over their relationship.

This is a warm and touching story that brought more than a few tears to my eyes as I finished reading it over 5 years ago. Though I haven't had a chance to reread it, I definitely will be putting it back on my TBR list! Even if you aren't a romance fan, as I'm typically not, you should give Luanne Rice's books a try...they may surprise you!
Pretty soon I will have finished with my current reads and will have more current reviews for you. Have a great Saturday!


Andi said...

Heather from A High & Hidden Place got Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs for me for my birthday last year. I hadn't read it since I was a kid and all the joy came rushing back. Fantabulous book!

Debi said...

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is a definite favorite in our house, too!