Tuesday, April 24, 2007

48 Hour Book Challenge

Over at MotherReader, she has announced the 2nd annual 48 Hour Book Challenge which sounds like so much fun! I now have an excuse to tell Aaron, "sorry, but I have to read and blog for 2 days straight." No housework or homework. Just reading and blogging! Check it out at MotherReader and sign up!


Now for a short review. I have said several times that I've been in a bit of a book slump lately, not really finding anything that really grabbed me, but I thought a little YA reading would help me out...unfortunately, still in the slump. The Crying Rocks by Janet Taylor Lisle is about Joelle, a young girl who was adopted and has been told a myriad of stories about where she came from, but never knows what to believe. She knows she's different from her family and the kids at school, but she doesn't know how or why. She just feels different. When she meets Carlos, a boy in her Spanish class and he tells her she looks like the Narragansett Indians, she at first doesn't believe him, but is drawn to find out once and for all where she came from. When Carlos tells her about the Crying Rocks, a place in the woods where the ghosts of Narragansett children are said to cry for their lost mothers, Joelle knows she must visit that place, believing it will help her with the search for her identity. It's tricky, while reading this book, to determine if there is a science fiction element to it. I personally determined, by the end, that there is not, however a fellow co-worker also read the book and believes that their is. To each their own!

The Crying Rocks, like all the others I've read lately, was decent. It wasn't bad, it wasn't fabulous, just good. And sometimes that's ok. I don't always need to have a spectacular reaction to a book to be happy, but at this point, having read so many "just good" books in a row, I'm looking for something great. We'll see where Coraline and The Double Bind, my current reading selections, take me.

3 comments:

Katya said...

I can't wait to hear what you think of Coraline. I love Neil Gaiman and I even have Coraline but I haven't read it yet.

Debi said...

I read Coraline...I didn't think it was over-the-top fantastic, but I definitely enjoyed it. Thanks for the review of The Crying Rocks. Probably won't read it myself, but it sounds like one my daughter would absolutely love!
I checked out the 48-hour book challenge. Wow, does it sound like fun! But I know 3 kids who would never, ever let me get away it.

John Ottinger said...

Thought you might like to know about the New Notions Five Reading Challenge