Wednesday, April 25, 2007


Finally, a break from the reading slump!! This book was delightful, in a creepy, menacing, scary sort of way, Coraline by Neil Gaiman was just what I needed to get out of this reading rut.

Coraline, is a young girl living with her parents in a small portion of a large flat in London. Coraline is a very picky girl and always bored, never satisfied with activities her parents suggest for her to do and never satisfied with her parents in general, for that matter. When she discovers a door in their drawing room that just opens to a brick wall, Coraline has a feeling that the door does lead somewhere and when she figures out where, she becomes trapped in a world where a woman calls herself "her other mother" and a man her "other father." The place looks just like Coraline's flat (only better) and the man and woman just like her mother and father (only better), but as the story proceeds we quickly learn that these people never want to let Coraline go. She has to use her intelligence and wit to gain her life back.

This book gave me the creeps! It was great storytelling, though the illustrations may be a little too scary for younger children. I was a little disturbed of the drawing of a woman's face with button eyes and a bug crawling out of her mouth and I'm 24! I really did enjoy this story, though not usually a ghost story or fantasy fan, but even if you aren't into those genres or even juvenile fiction typically, give this one a try. It was a quick read that took me out of that darn reading slump! I give it a 4 out of 5.


Debi said...

Hooray for breaking out of your slump! That's gotta feel good! I really enjoyed Coraline myself. (My daughter made me read it a couple years ago to make sure it wouldn't be too scary for her to read. Needless to say, she thoroughly enjoyed it as well.)

Andi said...

I hear there's a movie coming out sometime, but it's been in the works for a while, I believe.

Glad you busted your slump!

Katya said...

Oh good! You are out of your reading slump -- I hate those. Now I have to go find my copy of Coraline and read it.

Amy said...

I have "Neverwhere" by Gaiman on my list.I have never read anything by him but he always gets such rave reviews.

I will have to check this one out too.

Rel said...

Hi Amanda - saw your note on Deena's blog about wanting to find more Christian Fiction book reviews. If you are interested check out my blog - it is devoted to CF reviews, author interviews and book giveaways. Feel a bit funny plugging my own blog but thought you might be interested! I've enjoyed reading yours. Blessings

Cee Cee said...

Sounds eerie. The cover is a little creepy too and I'm older than you! LOL.