Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A little help from my fellow bloggers?

I had an interesting thing happen to me at work tonight and I'm hoping I can encourage some of you to help me out a little with this new issue. A little background before I beg :-).
As most of you know, I work as a Children's Librarian Assistant in a public library and love that part of my job. Kids and books are great! Tonight though, I was a little perplexed as to how to fix a problem that has arose in one patron's reading journey. Recently, I made a friend in a 13 year old girl, Josie, that volunteers with us during our summer reading program and is in the library with her mother and brothers almost every day. Josie is homeschooled, comes from an excellent Christian family and is a voracious reader. The problem lies in the lack of books she has to read. Her mother will purchase her any books that our library doesn't carry, Josie simply cannot find anything to even suggest to her mom to buy, due to her own personal specifications (as well as her parent's) regarding the reading material. She is not allowed to (nor does she have any interest in) reading anything pertaining to magic or fantasy (Harry Potter, etc.), due to their beliefs. Josie also has stated that she doesn't really care for anything that includes information on boyfriend/girlfriend relationships (her exact words were "I just think that stuff is ridiculous" :-) ). She really enjoys the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, as well as Nancy Drew and the old Cherry Ames books. As for adult choices, she absolutely loves Beverly Lewis, but is really looking for some young adult/juvenile selections. I really think she would be happiest with selections of the Christian genre, but any suggestions at this point would be great.
I hate knowing that children think they have nothing to read and usually I would tell them "you're crazy, there are a million books out there for you to read!" however in this situation, I'm really stumped! Typically I would suggest books I loved at that age, but I know they just aren't really right for Josie (the main reason being I wasn't a Christian at that point and would read anything at all). When you take out magic/fantasy/boys, that cuts out a lot of choices!!
Any help you could give would be so appreciated by both myself and by Josie. You can suggest books from any genre or age level, anything will do! Thanks so much for helping!

9 comments:

Liz B said...

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson would work. Also, check out the blog Deliciously Clean Reads at http://cleanreads.blogspot.com/ Yes, there is some fantasy there, but there are also non fantasy titles. Plus, DCR has some good links at its sidebar you could explore.

Amanda said...

Thanks Liz! I'll definitely check that out! :-)

Kailana said...

Have you thought about Madeleine L'Engle? Even if she didn't want to read A Wrinkle in Time, L'Engle's books have a religous background to them. There is the Austin series, for example. Many Waters is about Noah's Ark. And, really, any of her books relate to a religious ideal.

Emily said...

Thanks for coming over to Deliciously Clean Reads. I responded to your comment over there.

booklogged said...

How about Shannon Hale's Princess Academy, Goose Girl, Enna Burning, River Secrets? Tale of Despereaux? Listening for Lions?

Cee Cee said...

Sierra Jensen Collections by Robin Jones Gunn

Girls Only! (GO!) by Beverly Lewis

Keystone Stables series by Marsha Hubler

Diary of Teenage Girl Series, by Melody Carlson

I found these straight out of Christian Book Distributors.com kids catalog. She can read the descriptions to see if she will like the books...and there are more. Happy reading Josie!

Liz B said...

Oh, and Janette Oke. I really like her series that started with Martie & Clark, Love Comes Softly. Very Little House ish.

3M said...

Perhaps she's already read these, but what about Little Women and others my Alcott, the Anne of Green Gables series, or Caddie Woodlawn?

soleil said...

what about the saddle club? i read those books when i was little. if memory serves correctly it was a series about three friends and their love of horses. i don't remember there being an emphasis on boys. and there definitely wasn't any magic.