Monday, April 9, 2007

Reading Weekend

This weekend proved to be quite profitable in the book reading sense. On Saturday, Aaron and I drove the 90 minutes to El Paso in order to purchase some last minute wedding goodies (we finally found a cake topper!!) and some scrapbooking supplies for me, as well as some new clothes to take on our honeymoon next month. We also made the necessary stop at our favorite restaurant, PF Chang's, for some excellent mongolian beef, wonton soup, and our favorite: chicken lettuce wraps. It was a very nice day trip for the both of us, we had a great time, but I also was able to get some great reading done on the drive to and from the city. Between the drive there and the drive back, I pretty much read the entire 3 hours, though I did pause in- between chapters to actually have conversations with the hunny. It wouldn't have been nice of me to ignore him the entire time in favor of my books! :-)

On Easter sunday, unfortunately, thanks to military scheduling, Aaron had to work again (he's worked every single holiday, including Christmas, New Year's and Valentine's Day since I moved down here), so as with the previous day, I had quite a bit of reading time on my hands. We still haven't found a church that we feel comfortable and welcome at, so I spent my Easter worship time with my Bible, my devotionals, and then my small group website, learning about women of the bible. Once Aaron arrived home around 7, we were able to have the traditional Easter dinner of ham and we watched our Sunday dose of reality tv with the Amazing Race.

That all being said, I read and/or completed the following books on Saturday and Sunday: The Edge of Winter by Luanne Rice, These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder, The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman, and about 8 different magazines I've had laying around here...not to mention the two Sunday newspapers we get. Though I only had a bit of Chapman's book left, it was nice to finally finish it and the other two were challenge books, making the list I have left to read a little shorter. I'll be reviewing Rice's book, as well as Chapman's book tonight or tomorrow.

I love the weekends I don't have to work, simply because I accomplish so much. Right now I'm on an every other weekend schedule, so next weekend I'll be spending my two days at the library, with not much time for reading. It just makes the time I do get off that much sweeter!

9 comments:

Becky said...

Amanda, if you're interested, I have a new author "H" for you--Sharon Hinck, author of The Secret Life of Becky Miller, Renovating Becky Miller (both published by Bethany Hous) and The Restorer (NavPress, releasing in May). All three well worth the read.

Becky

Amanda said...

Thanks Becky!!

Nise' said...

Here via Deena's blog. Enjoyed reading your reviews and will be back. I just picked up The Edge of Winter today and have read about 6 pages!

Debi said...

Sounds like you had a nice weekend! Sorry your honey had to work on Easter though! Can't wait to read your reviews!

And by the way, you asked about knitting. I just taught myself. Well, from a kit that is. That hat was just the second thing I've made (the first being the matching scarf). Anyway, I learned using a kit called the Lion Learn to Knit Kit 2. I just checked and they still have it at Joann.com. Though it definitely took some practice, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be to learn. (Of course, I've only learned the basics so far.) Hope that helps!

Bookfool said...

I've got The Five Love Languages on the stacks. What did you think of it? Sounds like you had a terrific weekend. BTW, I had to run out to get stamps so your book will be in the mail, tomorrow. :)

Deena said...

Isn't it great when you can log a lot of free reading hours, and not feel guilty?? I love weekends like those:-)

I'm thinking of some authors to fill in those holes in your list:-)

Deena said...

Ok...Here's a "B"...Mark Buchanan
Here's an "H"...Diann Hunt (but go with Sharon Hinck)
Here's a "D"...Tim Downs
Here's an "M"...Siri Mitchell
Here's a "F"...Joanne Fluke
Here's an "M"...Susan Meissner
Here's a "Y"...Mark Yaconelli
Here's a "W"...Elizabeth White

I'm working on filling in the rest:-)

cipriano said...

Amanda, I am so with you on the "I love the weekends" sentiment. Mine too, was very nice and relaxing and also I had a lot of time to read, think, and write a bit.
My idea of heaven [blasphemously unbiblical, I know] is like sort of a huge-normous celestial Library [really nice relaxing chairs, each housed with eternally-replenished Starbucks© carafes within reach]... and every book I never had the time to read during my earthly life... all laid out before me.
Oh yeah.
And a cat. Purring next to me.

Bookfool said...

Amanda,

I replied to you at my blog, also, but in case you don't see it, thanks so much for the response! I'll be watching for your review. :)