Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes and a meme


This book, by Diane Chamberlain, was a nice, quick read. Though well over 400 pages, I finished this selection from my Spring Reading Thing challenge list in about a day. Not too shabby, considering I worked and wrote a paper the same day!
Chamberlain first introduces us to CeeCee Wilkes, a young, beautiful, 16 year old girl, that while waitressing at a diner, falls in love with Tim, an older, more experienced man. Tim wraps CeeCee around his finger, using her innocence against her and convincing her to help in a plot to kidnap the governor's wife. Though skeptical, CeeCee agrees and after a terrifying turn of events, leaves the situation with no identity, no money, and a newborn baby. The reader gets to experience CeeCee's fear and trepidation as she becomes Eve Elliott and begins raising the baby, Corinne. With more twists and turns along the way, this story kept me reading into the night.
Though not as great as Chamberlain's other novels (I would highly recommend The Courage Tree), this was still a compelling story that allowed the reader to feel involved in the character's lives. I enjoyed this book and enjoyed marking off another selection on the challenge list. Only a few more to go! I give this book 7 out of 10 stars.
Now for a little meme I found over at Deena's page....

1. What are you currently reading?
Well, I'm reading Left Behind, by Tim LaHaye for the Spring Reading Challenge (about 1/2 way through). I'm also reading Women of the Bible by Ann Spangler for my small group bible study.

2. What did you just finish reading?
As the above review shows, I just finished The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain. I also just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, which I enjoyed, but was somewhat disappointed in. I guess that has to eventually happen, seeing as though I have absolutely loved every other book she has written.

3. What will you be reading next?
I will be starting Kaleidoscope Eyes by Karen Ball, an ILL that finally showed up at work for me today. I read the first in her series, Shattered Justice a couple of months ago and absolutely loved it..I'm hoping this one is as good! I also will be starting a couple of juvenile books this week, in hopes to catch up on that part of my reading AND starting Hatchet.

Well that was fun, thanks Deena! If any of ya'll play along, leave me a link so I can check out your answers. Thanks!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Just wanted to test out this comment feature. Love your blog!

Debi said...

I've seen that book on several people's reading lists, but didn't have a clue what it was about. Been meaning to look into it, but now I don't have to. Thanks for your review!
The meme looks fun...think I'll have to play, too.

Diane Chamberlain said...

Hi Amanda! I'm glad you enjoyed reading CEECEE! I enjoyed writing about her. There's nothing I like better than hearing that a reader stayed up late to read one of my books.
I was planning to buy NINETEEN MINUTES this afternoon, but now I'm not sure. I guess I should read it myself and draw my own conclusions. . .

Rebecca said...

I have Nineteen Minutes on the reserve list at the librray. I'm number 48 on the list! I commented the other day that it had better be EXCELLENT for making me wait so long :P

booklogged said...

I really enjoyed the first several books (maybe 6) in the Left Behind series. I thought the way they talked about the rapture was fascinating.

I'm adding The Courage Tree to my hunkering list. Kaleidoscope Eyes is an title - hope it's good.