Saturday, April 28, 2007

Watching the Tree Limbs and some updates

After Coraline, I was really hoping that the reading slump had truly ended and after reading this novel, I am convinced it has. Watching the Tree Limbs by Mary E. Demuth, was horrifying in subject matter, but the writing was amazing.

Mara Weatherall, a nine year old girl far too mature for her age, knows that she isn't wanted by anyone. Not her adopted mother, not anyone... that is except for General. General is a young man that steals her innocence in an instant and forever changes Mara's life. We watch as Mara tries to repair herself through the help of Denim, the mystery radio man, her best friend Camilla, and the cold Mr. Winningham, each character playing an important role in Mara's healing process, as well as helping her to solve the mystery of who her real parents are. As all of this is going on Mara is also finding her way to God and learning to trust in Him to help her through the rest of her years.

The characters in this novel were wonderfully described and each one had a depth that made me believe I truly knew them as people. Mara was not unlike the main character in The Secret Life of Bees or The Book Thief, tragic in her own way, yet hopeful and just lovely. I know there has been a sequel written and I can't wait to read it. This is an author I have never read before, but I plan to get my hands on everything she's written. I give this book a 5 out of 5. Fantastic!
Now for the updates. Can you believe I'm getting married two weeks from today? I certainly can't!! I am so excited for the big day and of course for my time in New York prior to the wedding. I'm leaving next early next Friday morning and spending the whole week just finishing up final wedding things and spending time with my family and friends. I have a whole bag of books ready to take with me....though someone needs to tell my boss that it is perfectly fine to bring books on a honeymoon!
I also stopped at GoodWill yesterday and found 13 books to add to the "kid shelves" on my bookshelf. I don't have kids yet, but I will someday and I'm gonna be ready! I picked up some great Newbery Winners, as well as some good old girly fiction. I loved books like the Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley High when I was younger and though they are definitely "fluff" they got me reading and I can only hope my daughter will someday enjoy them as well. If not, all the more reading for me! I picked up:
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Number the Stars
Little House in the Big Woods
Stuart Little
Ramona the Pest
BSC # 1, 2, 5, 6, 100, and 120
5 for a buck, you can't beat it!
Have great weekend!


9 comments:

Deena said...

Now, if you get any reading done on your honeymoon, I'll be shocked:-)

We went on a getaway weekend and I took a bag of books...I think I read one the entire trip, and that was ONLY in the car travelling...and I've been married 21 years...and you KNOW what a book lover I am...

But take your bag full o'books...even if you don't read them, it's comforting to have them along, just in case...

soleil said...

i used to read svh and baby-sitter's club. and yeah, they are a little fluffy but reading should be fun, especially when just starting out. i also loved nancy drew. and the saddle club. and the sleepover friends. those were my favorites. happy wedding!

Debi said...

Oh, you made some wonderful finds at the thrift store! (My daughter wouldn't have touched the baby-sitter's club type books with a 10-foot pole though.)

Katya said...

Watching the Tree Limbs is a great title. I will probably read it on the basis of the title and your recommendation.

It's fine to take books on your honeymoon. And more than one is also fine -- you never know what mood you might be in.

Kim said...

Good luck with the wedding!!! How exciting for you!!! And I also LOVED BSC and SVH books when I was younger...they got me to love reading, too :0)

booklogged said...

Does your fiance read? If not, I'd be careful with the book thing on your honeymoon. Maybe one for when your in the bathroom...

Have a fun time preparing and during the wedding and honeymoon. Congratulations.

Amanda said...

Oh yes, Aaron reads too. Not nearly as much as I do, but he does. And he's the one who has been buying books for me to take! See why I'm marrying him? :-)

Cee Cee said...

Boy do I miss Ramona and Beasley! You're little one will have a reading adventure!

Don't worry about taking books on your honeymoon. Sheesh! Reading is as healthy as any other recreation/procreation...I'll stop there! ;)

relevantgirl said...

I appreciate your nice review of my book. Thank so much!