Monday, April 23, 2007

Ya Book Suggestions

As you are all well aware, I am a huge fan of children's and YA books. Being that I am a children's librarian, I should love them and I do, but I don't always get to read as many as I would like. My job, ordering wise, puts me in charge of picture books for children, not chapter books, so I don't often get to see what is new out there, except what my co-worker actually orders for our shelves. Therefore, I get a lot of my YA and young reader choices from all of you! Right now I'm in the middle of Coraline by Neil Gaiman, which was a blogger suggested read and am about to start Gossamer by Lois Lowry, an author I always read anyways, but again, a blogger suggestion. Just to throw a question out there, if there were any one (or 2 or 5) books in this YA/young reader age group you would suggest for me to read, what would they be? New, old, I don't care, I'm just looking for some fresh ideas!


cipriano said...

Amanda. I love children's books and I am going to suggest a few for you.
First, The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip, by George Saunders. Wonderfully, funny, good message to it.
Second, Princess Prunella and the Purple Peanut, by Margaret Atwood. Adorable, wonderful.
Third, The Friendly Snowflake, by M. Scott Peck.
Fourth, The Wonderful Flight To The Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron. I loved this book. This is more like a chapter-book. I read it, young and old. It is great.
Fifth, At The Back of The North Wind by George MacDonald is good, too. Chapter book.
And of course the Narnias.... goes without saying.
-- Cip

Faith said...

I'm a huge YA fiction fan. I completely love Twilight and its sequels, by Stephenie Meyers, I think her name is. She's an incredible writer.

Amy said...

I second the recommendation of Twilight and New Moon. Our whole family has now read these.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy, The Artemis Fowl Series, Inkheart and Inkspell as well as The Thief Lord, the Shadow Children series(and anything else by Margaret Peterson Haddix) have all been well-loved too.

Spin_Doc1 said...

I am sure you have read the Phillip Pullman series and the Garth Nix series but I loved them both.

Amanda said...

Cip: Thanks for all those great suggestions! I've read the Narnia series, as well as Princess Prunela. The other ones I hate to say I've never even heard of, but I'll be checking them out now!

Faith: I have heard so many good things about Twilight, but have never picked it up. I will now!

Amy: I just took home the Shadow Children series and loved Inkheart. Haven't gotten into Artemis Fowl yet, but I'll give it a try!

Spin_doc_1: I am aware of both authors books, but have never read them myself. I'll give them a try!

Becky said...

I love Twilight and New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. So I think you should definitely give those a try :)

I love Rick Riordan. If you like fantasy, you should give his Percy Jackson series a chance. The first one is The Lightning Thief. His books are very funny, very exciting. Full of adventures.

I think Scott Westerfeld is another must-read author. He's got several series. There is the Uglies trilogy. The Midnighters trilogy. And a two book series of Peeps and Last Days. Personally, the Uglies trilogy is my favorite. But all of the books are good. You can look at the covers (and or reviews) to see if any of these appeal to you.

Sarah Dessen is one of my all-time favorite writers in the YA romance department. I loved The Truth About Forever. Loved it. But all her books are good.

I loved City of Ember, People of Sparks, and Prophet of Yonwood by Jeanne DuPrau. These were new-to-me titles that really made me say wow.

If you haven't read LIFE AS WE KNEW IT by Susan Beth Pfeffer you should. It is SO good. One of the best of 2006.

For juvenile reads (upper elementary) I would recommend THE ROAD TO PARIS by Nikki Grimes. Excellent book. Loved it. And also I really loved Julia's Kitchen by Brenda Ferber.

And finally, I think HOPE WAS HERE by Joan Bauer is a must-read. I love her work. And this one is my favorite.

P.S. I also love Margaret Peterson Haddix (author of Shadow Children series) and have made a point of reading all that I can of her work.

Andi said...

Hmmm, since I just read it and was impressed, I would say the Parvana books by Deborah Ellis. Parvana's Journey is the 2nd, I believe. I think the first one is The Breadwinner.

Gavin said...

Here are few YA titles which I've ordered, which have all got great reviews :

1. Among the Hidden by Haddix, Margaret Peterson

2. Crispin by Avi

3. Fly by Night by Hardinge, Frances

4. Half-moon Investigations by Colfer, Eoin

5. Mortal Engines by Reeve, Philip

6. Silverfin by Higson, Charlie

7. Stormbreaker by Horowitz, Anthony


soleil said...

the fearless series by francine pascal is really good if you like exciting, suspenseful, mystery-type stories with a dash of romance.

ZG said...


I just read one that I completely loved: Deb Caletti's new novel "The Nature of Jade". I really recommend it!

Also -- finished Nineteen Minutes. It really just made me feel incredibly sad for everyone in the book.

ZG at Midwestern Lodestar.