Friday, May 25, 2007

A new challenge for Summer!

Another wonderful blogger named Amanda is back with her 2nd annual Summer Reading Challenge, which of course I had to sign up for right away! It's a very "liberal" challenge, that allows the blogger to choose to read whatever he or she wishes, making it very easy to read us of some of the hundreds of books in our TBR piles. I urge you to check it out!

For my choices, I focused on YA/Juvenile books I've been meaning to read, which are incredibly important in my profession. I love to read these books and I really do need to stay up on them in order to be good at my job, but they often fall behind in comparison to my beloved Christian fiction and regular old adult fiction. This challenge will at least get me caught up on 12, if not 14. Wish me luck and be sure to check out Amanda's challenge!

As always, you can watch my progress on the right side of this blog, along with any other challenge I happen to be participating in at the moment. As for my challenge list, here it is:

1. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
2. Uglies by Scott Westerfield
3. Al Capone Does My Shirt by Gennifer Choldenko
4. The Treasures of Weatherby by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
5. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
6. Gossamer by Lois Lowry
7. The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs by Betty Birney
8. Among the Betrayed by Margaret Peterson Haddix
9. Among the Barons by Margaret Peterson Haddix
10. Aleutian Sparrow by Karen Hesse
11. The Lost Flower Children by Janet Taylor Lisle
12. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Bonus/Alternates:
13. Pretties by Scott Westerfield
14. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

Love to know what you think on any of the titles!

Oh and as a quick side note, one of my favorite bloggers, Deena, is doing a fabulous book giveaway once a week starting June 1st and ending August 24th over at her blog. Click the button, check it out and win free books! Plus, Deena's reviews rock, so you'll be sure to add more to your TBR pile for the Summer Reading Challenge!

11 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

I loved Inkheart and Uglies, and the Shadow Children books. I'm also a big fan of Zilpha Keatley Snyder, going back to my childhood, though I haven't read her most recent couple of books. I'll be interested to hear what you think about this one.

I don't know if you can count the Harry Potter book on a challenge, since you would undoubtedly read it anyway. (Just kidding!)

Amanda said...

So very true Jen! I would have read it anyways, but hey, why not include it anyways? This way, I won't put off reading it until October in order to make the last book of the series last just a bit longer! :-)

Faith said...

You'll love the Scott Westerfeld books (Uglies, Pretties & Specials). Please be sure to read Specials too, or you'll miss out on the end of the story, and it's a fantastic one!!

Cee Cee said...

You're so lucky to be a YA librarian. I recently went to hear Henry Winkler read from his new YA series and it was hoot! I'm going to post about it after I finish reading the book. Anyway, he revived my love for YA books and I will begin to read them again. I think it is important to know what adults are telling our children. Not to mention, I find YA books relaxing. Okay, I'm weird.

Cee Cee said...

Oh. Forgot. You've been tagged! How lucky for you. ;) It's about books sooo if you're gamed...

Lisa said...

I just read 13 Little Blue Envelopes and hope to have a review up this weekend. It was good, not great, but I'll read more oef her.

Lesley said...

That's quite the list - good luck!

Debi said...

Oh, this sounds like fun!

Maybe I'm losing it here, but did you mean to have Inkspell on your list? Didn't you already read Inkheart? It just sticks in my mind that we were reading it at the same time.

Anyway, I think I might have to go check this out. And I can't wait to read all the new YA reviews you'll be doing!

Amanda said...

Yes Debi, thanks! I always get the names mixed up!

Becky said...

It looks like you've made some great choices. Love Margaret Peterson Haddix and Scott Westerfeld. I'll be joining the challenge too...and posting my list just as soon as I narrow it down!

Biby Cletus said...

Hello, i just surfed in searching for interesting blogs on new seven wonders of the world, you have a cool blog. Do keep up the good work. i live far from where you are and its nice to be able to see what people from across the world thinks.

Warm Regards from the Other Side of the Moon.

On a related note perhaps you might find the following links interesting. we're reviewing the best among the competing 21 participants for the new 7 wonders competition. i'll like to hear your take on the subject via comments. i'll be back soon...

The Kremlin and the Red Square
Angkor Wat
Eiffel Tower
Hagia Sophia

ps. if you have your own favourites list or if you'd like us to write about other wonders pls do mention about it in the comments.

Bibby

Kerala, India