Friday, June 8, 2007

DNF, oh well

I had one of my only Did-Not-Finish books of the year this morning. Bummer. I have been trying to sneak in reading wherever I can, seeing as though I'm signed up for like a bajillion challenges and have a bajillion plus 10 books checked out from the library (seriously...46 books, it's a sickness really). For the past 3 days or so I've been working my way through Patti Hill's Always Green, and I just gave up on it this morning after only making it about a quarter of the way through. I really enjoyed the first book in this series and I think Patti Hill is a delightful Christian author, which made my decision to stop a little disappointing, but I think I just need something a little more exciting right now. Something to keep those pages turning quickly! This book was not horrible in the least. It wasn't even bad and I know I'll pick it back up eventually...it was just a little slow for me right now. I think for this week and next, while I'm wading through boxes in my new house, I'm going to stick to YA and juvenile fiction. Most of those are pretty quick reads for me, so we'll see what they bring.

I hope everyone else is doing well on those challenges! Enjoy your weekend and don't forget about my Children's Book Saturday post! 3 (or more) pictures books will be reviewed tomorrow, so stop on by!

5 comments:

Deena said...

I know how you feel. Sometimes you're just in the mood for something different...but I encourage you to pick it back up later on...the entire series is good!

MidwestMaven said...

I hate not finishing books, but sometimes you have to move on!

cipriano said...

Amanda, it is such a drag when a book is sort of a drag. I know what you mean... you hate to put it aside [I hate to do that to an author] but if the thing is not clicking with you at this time, you've gotta do it.
But, conversely, isn't it so exhilarating when a book just CLICKS with you? I love it.
I started a novel last night, and seriously I have not been able to put the thing down. It is Jim Crace's The Pesthouse.
So far, it is just really captivating.
All the best to you, in all of your multitudinous reading challenges!
-- Cip

Becky said...

No, having 46 books checked out from the library isn't quite a sickness. At least I hope not. I've certainly had that many--sometimes even more. But it is VERY stressful. Because who really has room to stack that many books??? Anyway, good luck with all your challenges...and with unpacking from your move.

Cee Cee said...

LOLOL!! I love your sickness. I have it too. Now I don't feel so badly about it. *Smile)

You know, sometimes I have a DNF where I grade it on a sheet with a score of 1-5. Some have been DNF 3's (Good) but I just wasn't in the mood. I usually try to go back and read those books.

Now a DNF with no grade, BAH!! That means it wasn't a good book.