Monday, June 25, 2007

A Little Venting...

I am lost and need some fellow blogger assistance. I am having a very difficult time being "ok" with where I am at career-wise and a big change needs to be made and soon. I am working part-time at a job that I half love and half hate. I love my job in the children's room, but it's not enough. I don't get paid enough and I was denied for full-time, so it just doesn't pay the bills. I need a full time job, preferably working with books, but there is nothing other than where I am at. No other libraries, no publishing companies, nothing. I'm stuck. Then Aaron gives me the idea to do something more with this blogging, but I have no idea where to even start. I would love to do this and get paid for it, but does that even happen? Is that even a possibility? Right now I just blog what I think about books, I don't really proofread or plan out what to write in a professional manner, I just do it. Spell check is as far into the editing field that I go, but if I fixed things and concentrated on writing longer, more in-depth, professional reviews could I get paid for it?

Even if blogging for money wouldn't work out, is there anything out there that revolves around books that does pay money? At this point, it doesn't even have to be about books, as much as I would like it to be. Are there any real work-at-home opportunities? I do a little freelance reviewing for a Christian publishing company, but those only come sporadically, definitely not bringing in the money. I need something and I need it quickly. I want to stay in the library field, but that doesn't seem possible right now, at least not until we are able to move somewhere with more than one library to choose from.

Any help you can offer would be great. If you have an idea of what I could do with this blogging or how I could make money from it, please let me know (or fill me in on if I'm just dreaming). If you have work-at-home suggestions, please send them my way. Any friendly advice would be much appreciated. I'm desperate at this point!

8 comments:

Jack said...

Great information. Thanks

Work from home :
http://www.homebizguide.com

Maggie said...

I wish I could help you, but most of what I find is publishers giving copies of books in exchange for reviews.

Could you not work in technical services or circulation to make a fulltime job?

Debi said...

I'm afraid I have no useful advice, but I'm hoping something comes along for you very soon!

Orange Blossom Goddess (aka Heather) said...

Some of the books I've reviewed (and will continue to review and post about once I get internet at home again) have come from publishers - free books in return for a review. You could always put adds on your site but I doubt that brings in enough to support yourself on. People always tell me the same thing - that I should figure out a way to make money from my blogs. I haven't come up with anything yet either unfortunately. Perhaps you could return to school full-time and live off student loans? Best of luck!!!

cipriano said...

Ahh, Amanda, I feel for you, I really do.
You are asking ALL [100%] of the questions that I ask myself, pretty much everday.
I am in a dead-end job that I do not at all like to do, and my talents are not being utilized.
I am sorry that I cannot be of practical help in suggestions for you, because I too, am desperate in this area. How I would LOVE to be paid to write or to do something in the field of books and/or writing.
If it ever happenes for me, you will be the first person I tell, as to how it happened!

So much of what happens [vocation-wise] seems to revolve around "who you know" issues sometimes, which bodes not very well for me, because..... I don't know a lot of people. Really I don't. Sorry I cannot be more helpful for the time being.
What I would say to you is the thing I say to myself, every day.
Hang in there.

Spin_Doc1 said...

I friend of mine I met through blog land was approached by the Washington Post to right a column based on her blog entries. She no longer blogs but sells enough articles to support herself. She wrote about fashion and dating kind of like sex in the city.

LiteracyTeacher said...

Have you tried payperpost.com or reviewme.com?

LiteracyTeacher said...

I checked your page rank... you are a 4 (out of 10). That's pretty good. You should be able to find something since that means that lots of people are reading your blog!

Good luck.

If you want more info on payperpost, then see my blog at http://mentortexts.blogspot.com/search/label/ppp.

Best,
L.T.