Thursday, June 21, 2007

Spring Reading Thing Finale

I finished the rest of my list for the Spring Reading Thing Challenge a couple of weeks ago and in honor of the actual completion date, Katrina has asked us all to post some wrapup info to share with everyone. Easy enough!

What was the best book you read this spring?
Out of the 18 or so that I read, my favorite was probably The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle. It was fantastic, though tragic.

What book could you have done without?
I think I could have done without The Prince of Tides, though only because I've read it many times before. This time was just one too many and I got feelings of dislike towards the story, rather than love for it.

Did you try out a new author this spring? If so, which one, and will you be reading that author again?
I actually tried out 6 new authors! I would definitely read more by Katrina Kittle, Ann Hood, and Brian Selznick. Probably nothing else from Chris Bohjalian. I didn't like either of his books and I didn't finish either of them.

If there were books you didn't finish, tell us why. Did you run out of time? Realize those books weren't worth it?
I started both of Chris Bohjalian's books: Before You Know Kindness and The Double Bind but couldn't get into either. Both bugged me enough by the 3rd chapter or so that I just figured they weren't worth it. I added bonus books to make up for those 2.

Did you come across a book or two on other participants' lists that you're planning to add to your own to-be-read pile? Which ones?
Oh lots! I get most of my ideas for reading from other bloggers. Kabul Beauty School was one that I added to my TBR pile, read last week and just loved. So thank you for the bloggers who reviewed that one!

What did you learn -- about anything -- through this challenge? Maybe you learned something about yourself or your reading style, maybe you learned not to pick so many nonfiction books for a challenge, maybe you learned something from a book you read. Whatever it is, share!
I learned that just because someone is a bestselling author doesn't mean I will love their work. I didn't like Chris Bohjalian's books at all. I also learned that even though I may have loved a book for years, there can come a time when I have changed enough as a person, that I just plain don't like it anymore, as in The Prince of Tides.

What was the best part of the Spring Reading Thing?
Getting all sorts of books out of my TBR pile and into my head!

Would you be interested in participating in another reading challenge this fall?
I will definitely be participating in another challenge. I would love another from Katrina!

6 comments:

Debi said...

Yeah Amanda! Of course, I'll bet there's not a book challenge out there that you couldn't conquer!

Katrina said...

Great job finishing the challenge, Amanda (and ahead of time, even!). Looking forward to having you be part of the fall challenge!

Lisa writes... said...

Hey Amanda,
I'm thinking Prince of Tides would also be a "former favorite" of mine! Great list!
Blessings, Lisa

Christi said...

Just wanted to stop by and tell you that I loved your list. i took several books from your list to add to my "Want to Read" list.

Thanks!

Kailana said...

I have to pipe in and say that "Midwives" is the only decent book I have read by Bohjalian. It is about a modern day woman who is a midwife, and I actually really liked it. But, otherwise, I have two of his books that I have never finished!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I love your observations about reading/books etc.