Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos

I really have been incredibly lucky in the book department lately! Each book in the past few weeks has been pretty much great and this one was no exception. A nice change from May's reading slump! I had never read a book by this author before, but was delighted with her from page one and plan to seek out more of her work in the very near future.

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers, takes place in 1906, London. 11 year old Theodosia spends all of her days in an old and dark museum that her father runs and her mother supplies with all sorts of interesting archeological artifacts. For most children, this atmosphere would become dreary and boring, but for Theodosia, there is always work to do. With special abilities no one in her family is privy to, Theodosia can feel out curses that have been placed on artifacts and dissolve them, saving the museum and her family from a lot of trouble. Unfortunately, Theodosia's mother brings back an object from Egypt that is cursed with such darkness it threatens to cripple the entire country of Britain. Theodosia, working with a crew of very interesting characters, must defeat the curse, before it's too late.

This book was fantastic. Really, I know I overuse that word at times, but really, it was fantastic. The character of Theodosia had such witty and sarcastic sense of humor, I found myself laughing out loud in spots (and being reminded of my boss who is the human version of Theodosia). This book is definitely a page turner, though not one inappropriate for younger children. Reading this to a six-year-old will not give them nightmares, though 8-12 year-olds will probably be the most interested. I loved the book and recommend it to all of you (and you're children). Let me know what you think, if you do read it!

4 comments:

Debi said...

Oh Amanda, this one sounds positively delightful! I'd never heard of it before...so thank you! Again!

Deena said...

Amanda, I need to see you at Wholly Devoted right away!

Fleiger said...

That sounds very interesting. Kind of like "Courtney Crumrin" series, right?

Lisa writes... said...

Sounds intriguing...I might have to check it out myself...