Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Oh what a wonderful, fantastic, tragic, magnificently horrible book! I wanted to savor this one as long as possible, knowing how long it took for it to come out after the publication of The Kite Runner, but I couldn't help myself....I devoured it in about a day. This is certainly one of the most powerful portrayals of friendship you could ever imagine and one of those rare books that will keep you thinking for days.

Hosseini tells the stories of Laila and Mariam, first individually and then about their lives together, living through nightmares unimaginable to most people. Both have loves in their life and both are torn apart from those loves. Both have severe tragedy in their lives, yet continue on as strong human beings. Their friendship is amazing and the story had me in tears more than once. I really don't want to write much more than that about the plot of this novel, for some reason I would just rather you all find out on your own. Sometimes you just have to trust your fellow bloggers on this and I'm asking you to trust me! Read this book! And if you still want more of a review or a little more info on the plot, I know a bunch of other bloggers have reviewed this title and of course, there's always Amazon!

Really though, read this. Read it. You really won't be sorry.

8 comments:

Marg said...

I just picked this up from the library today! Can't wait to get to it.

Debi said...

I will...I promise.

Maggie said...

Ew, I just ran over to the stacks and checked it out! Thanks! :)

MyUtopia said...

I have this on my list of books to be read.

Katya said...

I absolutely loved this book.

Cee Cee said...

Okay, this is July's book club read so I'm forced to sit down and crack the spine! I'll be back to let you know my thoughts. I'm glad you liked it!

kbookwoman said...

This story is truly wonderful. I savored every word.

Booklogged said...

Whew! So glad to hear that this book is so good. I added it to my iPod to listen to with my husband on our long driving trip in July. It's been hard to wait.