Thursday, July 5, 2007

2 Reviews

I have been doing lots of reading lately, just not a whole lot of blogging. For today, we have both an adult selection and a JF excellent, one not very exciting. Can't win every time!

My first review of the day is James Patterson's The 6th Target. This one will be short and sweet, seeing as though it's part of a series and I don't want to give too much away, plus, I didn't like it. Hehe, nothing like being blunt! Nope, didn't like it at all. Boring, slowly and completely non-exciting, very unlike the other books in this series. Anyways...

This, like all other of the Womens' Murder Club series, follows Lindsay Boxer, a Lt. on the San Francisco police force. In this 6th installment, Boxer is following not only a madman that randomly starts shooting on on a ferry boat ride, killing several and wounding others, including another member of the club, Claire Washburn, but also a serial kidnapper. This all occurs while Cindy, a third member of the club, is focusing on solving the mystery of several murdered animals in her apartment complex. Yuki, a fourth member, is trying her first case as a prosecutor, after always being on the defendant's side. The plot also includes relationship aspects between Lindsay and Joe, as well as Lindsay and her girlfriends. Again, none being very interesting.

I don't want to give away much more, especially because the book is of mystery nature, but overall, I think it was definitely not up to par with the other books in this series. I loved books 1-5. I thought they were very clever, always fast-paced, and never boring. This one hardly had any interactions with all of the girls together, the actually mysteries throughout the book were somewhat boring, not exciting as usual. Hopefully, if Patterson does a 7th, he'll get back up on his game. Maybe if he slowed down with the publishing he could focus more on the actual writing.

Well next we have a wonderful selection from the always wonderful Nikki Grimes. Grimes always writes heart-wrenching fiction, but the books and the stories in them are always real and true to society today. The Road to Paris was no exception. In the beginning, middle, and end I found myself with tears in my eyes, loving every minute. Typical Nikki Grimes!

Paris and her brother Malcolm have not had an easy life. Their dad isn't around and their mother is no good, which leads them to bounce around foster care homes, never settling long because they always end up in bad situations, but always managing to remain together. When their mother truly believes she can take care of them, the two go back to live with her, only to wind up living alone and having to fend for themselves. They decide to runaway to live with their grandmother, only to have her call social services. The two are separated for the first time in their lives, with Paris going to live with the Lincoln family.

The Lincoln's are very different, but very nice. Paris slowly learns to trust them and to trust that God is always right there with her, even when Malcolm can't be. She gets comfortable in her new home, with her new family, and gains a love for life. But what will happen when Paris's real mother phones, promising she's changed and wanting both Paris and Malcolm to come home. Should Paris give up all she has gained just to be back with Malcolm?

This book was great! Another fantastic book from Nikki Grimes and another great book read this summer. I'm sure I'll have more reviews up soon. Enjoy the rest of the week!


Becky said...

I love, love, love The Road to Paris. It is a perfectly perfect book. A very emotional book, but one that I think EVERYONE needs to read at some point.

Overwhelmed! said...

Great book reviews! :)

Thanks for your interest in my Pay It Forward book exchange! I’ll be kicking it off with a book giveaway on Monday, 9 July, so please stop by and enter to win!

3M said...

You won The Red Tent! Send me an email with your address or I can even send it to the library where you work if you wish. My email is 3m (dottt)michelle (attttt) gmail (ddott) ccoom.

Sorry for all the "code"!

soleil said...

congratulations on winning The Red Tent. That is a most excellent book! i have a question for you. how do you do strikethroughs on your sidebar? i can't figure it out. . .and it is so nice to be able to cross off books!

Debi said...

O.K., I have to say that you just totally bummed me out here! I love James Patterson's books. I can't bear to hear the he wrote a dud. Of course, I'll be reading it his Women's Murder Club and his Alex Cross books are two of my all-time favorite series.

Crystal said...

I think the only good book from the women's murder club was the first one, 1st to Die. I am up to 4th of july and I thought it was all about Lindsey.