Sunday, July 15, 2007

Chasing Fireflies

Everyone has favorite authors. In fact, most of us have multiple authors we would list as favorites, me included. I have lots of authors that I really enjoy, that I absolutely have to buy their next book, that I have to reread at least once a year, that I rave about to everyone I meet. However, I have two authors that I name as absolute favorites. One is Jodi Picoult. The other, Charles Martin. I truly believe that they are the same writer in mind, one being from a female perspective, one from a male. I love their books in a different way than I love most other books and Martin's latest, Chasing Fireflies, did not disappoint in the least.

A second before a train collides with her car, a woman kicks a boy out of the door, then proceeds to perish in the train crash. A strange move on her part seeing as though she had no problem beating him for the time he was in her care. Apparently she did have some feelings in her in order to allow the boy to live. The boy is an orphan. An orphan that doesn't know his name and can't speak. One that is destined to be in foster care for the rest of his life if it isn't for Chase Walker and Chase's former foster father, Uncle Willee. Both men have extremely tragic and difficult pasts that come bubbling to the surface once this boy is under their wings, but they somehow manage to keep hold of their dignity when facing those inner demons. The men must find the truth in their lives while helping the boy to find truth in his.

Martin intertwines so many different stories, one would think a reader would become confused. In this book alone there is Uncle Willee's story, Chase's story, the orphaned boy's story, Tommye's story, and Jake's story all thrown into one emotional roller coaster. Martin writes in such a beautiful and artistic manner that there is no confusion, only tenderness and flow. In all of Martin's books there is also a small element of mystery that keeps those pages turning quickly. This was a lovely story, rich in Southern detail and prose. I enjoyed it immensely and again am very much looking forward to Martin's next book.

9 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Thanks for the review, Amanda. His books have the greatest titles! This one sounds like a good one and I'll definitely be adding it to my wishlist. Thanks for introducing me to Charles Martin!

Debi said...

I've never even heard of Charles Martin, but it sounds like you've just introduced me to a real gem! Thanks, Amanda!
(And btw, I finally just had to go buy The Mysterious Benedict Society...your review made it simply irresistible! Can't wait to read it!)

Andi said...

A book club I've been invited to will be discussing a Charles Martin title on August 20th. I'm not familiar with his work, but I'm looking forward to trying him out!

Amanda said...

YAY for Charles Martin! I'm so glad you will all be reading him!

Susan said...

I just stumbled across your blog and am really enjoying it! Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors, too. I have never read Martin, but I just bought When Crickets Cry the other day. Anyway, ty for the reviews. You can see mine on my blog (listed under my profile).

MyUtopia said...

The book sounds really interesting. Thanks for the review.

Deena said...

I adore Charles Martin, adored this novel, and I adore you, my friend:-)

Stephanie said...

OK. Picoult is one of my very favorites!! I'm so adding this to my list!!

Great Review!

Cee Cee said...

Ditto what Stephanie wrote. Others have raved about his work but when you put him in Picoult category, I have to add him to my TBR.

*BOOM!* Have to go, that was my towering TBR falling over!