Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Gossamer

I love connecting with books and having their stories stay with me for days at a time. That's what happened with this latest Lois Lowry book, one that is new to my shelves, but has instantly become a favorite. I finished it two days ago, but needed to process before I wrote my review. Lowry does this to me every time, I'm not too sure why I was surprised, but now, Gossamer, is in my head and my heart. Where she comes up with these stories I'll never know, but I certainly hopes she keeps them coming!

Littlest One is in training as a Dream-Giver. She, working with an elder partner, flutter around their assigned home, touching objects which help them gather memories of the homeowner or children living in the house (even pets on occasion). The Dream-Givers then bestow the gathered memories as happy dreams to the person who owned the original memories. It is very hard work, but incredibly rewarding for the Dream-Givers, especially when their assigned person is asleep with a smile on their face from the wonderful dream bestowed upon them.

Unfortunately, the Dream-Givers have evil counterparts, the Sinisteeds. The Sinisteeds bestow nightmares, rather than dreams and often do so in packs, know as a Horde. When the vulnerable foster child living in Littlest One's assigned house becomes the repeated target of the Sinisteeds, Littlest One must devise a plan to help the boy, without harming or giving away, herself.

This was such a touching story. Lowry always creates stories that intrigue the reader to a point where the pages are turning incredibly quickly, though in this story, the kindness definitely stood out against the evil, more so than in her other books. I loved the character of Littlest One, her amazing curiosity that often got her into trouble, her courage, and her strong mind. This was a very unique concept and was very successful in effecting my emotions! I just felt good after reading this small novel and of course, that is the reaction we all are looking for! Gossamer was fantastic and I would recommend it for all. :-)

8 comments:

Cee Cee said...

Sounds like a interesting story. Thanks for the review!

Kerry said...

This sounds like a lovely book. Off to add it to my very long list of books to consider one day when I have some time.

Nicola said...

Thanks for the wonderful review! This sound like a great book, adding it to my tbr list.

Becky said...

I'm so happy you loved this one. I just loved it. I bonded with it right away. And it just was one of those books where I wanted EVERYONE I know to read it. This book is just me. I loved how the dreams are given, and how the dreams are described. It just felt true.

3M said...

Lois Lowry is great. I loved all 4 of her books that I read this year.

soleil said...

i have never read lois lowry but you keep giving such amazing reviews of her books that i must check her out now. and i love the idea of Gossamer. the subject of dreams and nightmares resonates with me as i have been plagued by horrible nightmares since i was a child.

Debi said...

Oh my...sounds like another MUST READ.

alisonwonderland said...

i loved The Giver, and with your recommendation, i guess i'd better put Gossamer on my TBR list!