Saturday, July 21, 2007

It's here!

In the car with our "Trust Snape" shirts, on the way to El Paso.



Aaron and I had so much fun at the Harry Potter release party last night, I wanted to fill you all in. We drove the hour and a half to El Paso and were able to fit in PF Chang's before the big party, which was fantastically delicious, as always. Once we got to Barnes and Noble, it was complete madhouse, but it was so much fun! People of every age were dressed to the nines in their Harry Potter character costumes, tv stations were everywhere and all sorts of fun activities were taking place. There was a very cool magic potion demonstration, fortune telling in Knockturn Alley, a costume contest under the magic broomsticks, read alouds from the book, picture taking, a scavenger hunt and a whole bunch of other stuff. While we waited the 3 hours until midnight, Aaron and I were able to wander around, then plopped ourselves down on the floor and read through books we had been wanting to check out (I got about a 1/4 of the way through Pretties by Scott Westerfeld. YAY!). When it came time for the big release, it was a very exciting moment! We were all lined up at the registers and ready! It was great to get that book in hand and escape out the front doors with it in our possession!!

Typically, we are not the type to attend a party like that. We both love Harry Potter, but A. we go to bed at about 10:30 every night, so staying at B&N until almost 1:00 and then driving almost 2 hours home wasn't a normal move for us and B. we are not crowd people. We would normally just have the book sent to our house on the release date, but being that this is the last book, we figured we would make a night of it and are so glad we did. We made our own t-shirts for the occasion with our own "opinion" of what readers should do (Aaron actually made the shirts, I just found the slogan hehe) and took a bunch of pictures, some of which I've included.
Aaron, very excited about the upcoming party!


I really hope that everyone who is participating in the book reading is enjoying it so far. I'm through chapter 10 and keep having to give it up for Aaron to read. We really should have bought two copies to prevent this from happening! I can't wait to read what other people are thinking, but for now, I must go back to reading my own copy!



Free picture, courtesy of B&N



At the end of the night, Aaron in his HP glasses and me holding the newest Fancy Nancy book.

10 comments:

Annemarie said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. :-)

Stephanie said...

How cute!! It looks like you two had a ton of fun! Isn't the magic of Harry Potter just phenomenal??

Debi said...

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time! Love the shirts!

Deena said...

Loved the shirts...you two are adorable together!! So cool you're both into Harry...

Cee Cee said...

How cute are you too and those shirts! Thanks for sharing your evening with us. I stopped by B&N around 6pm and the line was shaping up fast with potter fans. I was in bed at 12 and the store was across the street!

Cut me some slack: I was in an unfamiliar city. HeHe

Cee Cee said...

Correction: You TWO, not too. Sheesh!

Andi said...

What fun! I had an hours-long 500-page reading marathon and finished today. What a ride!

Orange Blossom Goddess (aka Heather) said...

Hilarious!! Looks you both had a blast.

Amy said...

Your Harry Potter looks similar to my Harry Potter evening (pics on my blog). I was also at a Barnes and Noble and sporting those fab glasses! *sigh* Good times, good times!

soleil said...

i love your shirts! i, also, trusted snape and believed he was dumbledore's man through and through. i left the bookstore at 12:45. stayed up all night at a reading party my friend had and finished the next day. i also even tried bertie bott's every flavor beans just for the occasion.
i love harry potter mania. . .