Saturday, July 14, 2007

Well I saw it...

And I'm not quite sure how I feel about! On Thursday night, Aaron and I made our ritual trip to the movie theater to see the newest Harry Potter flick. As you all know, us book readers understand the whole story of what is happening to Harry and his friends and the movies leave so much out that it's very difficult to judge whether or not we liked it. This latest movie was based on the longest book, yet it was only 2 hours long. It seemed very rushed, especially in the beginning. Within the first fifteen minutes Harry was already in the Ministry of Magic for his trial, which just seemed a bit quick. As did the scene with the children in the ministry towards the end. It lasted all of 5 minutes!

I wasn't very happy with the character of Tonks, I somehow pictured her older, more Sirius's age rather than in her early 20's, but maybe I'll grow to like her as the movies progress. She had almost no face time in the movie anyways. Another new character for this movie, Luna Lovegood, was cast perfectly. I took one glimpse at her and burst out laughing (the people next to me thought I was crazy), but she was just PERFECT. Her spacy look, her weird way of skipping wherever she goes, and her voice. It was all perfect. Dolores Umbridge was also cast pretty well I thought. She did great with her little evil giggle!

Overall, I was satisfied, but just a teensy bit disappointed. I had high hopes, but as with all of the other movies, the filmmakers are forced to leave so much essential stuff out, they always seem to fall a bit flat. It was good though and I had a good time. I'm sure I'll be seeing lots more on the movie once I get to reading other's blogs later today!

5 comments:

Katya said...

I always thought that Tonks was in her 20s -- that's what I remember from the book anyway. This is my least favorite HP book so I could be wrong. Overall I think I liked the movie. What happens to Sirius didn't seem to have the emotional impact though that it did in the book.

Amanda said...

I completely agree Katya. There was almost no aftermath once Sirius was killed.

Lisa said...

I thought Tonks was very young too.

I thought they did a great job with Sirius' death, in the time allowed. The silence, then his burning anger making him run into the next fight. In the book he's angry for longer, but they just didn't take a lot of time for the emotional stuff all through the book so it woulda been odd there too, I think. I put my review up a few days ago with a link to my personal spoilers.

Fleiger said...

Tonks is Sirius' niece (daughter of his favourite cousin), so I think she will be in 20s. Also, given the character traits, she can't be older, right?

But I agree, Tonks was a bit different than I imagined, even though she managed to show us the colliding-everywhere-messing-all Tonks in the short time.

Umbridge and Loony were perfect. I am really looking forward to watching Loony do commentary in Quiddich match :D

soleil said...

i felt the same way about the movie progressing astonishingly fast. umbridge and luna were absolutely perfect, i definitely agree on that as well. i was really mad though that they let harry give the prophecy to lucius. it was only a small comfort that he broke it himself. but i just can't see harry ever giving it over. i know, i know, they can't fit everything in but i would have rather harry feigned handing it over and then smashing it himself rather than hand it over. but that's just me.