Thursday, July 19, 2007

Westminster Abby

Lately I seem to get most of my YA and JF suggestions from Becky's blog and this is another series she reviewed and I've now picked up. A big thanks going to her for increasing my TBR list EVERY DAY and always having fantastic reviews up. If I didn't read her blog I would be lost in YA land! Her review of Girl Overboard, another book in the series, is here. I started at the beginning of the series with Westminster Abby by Michol Ostow.

This first book in the S.A.S.S. (Students Across the Seven Seas) series was unexpectedly good. As I said, I read Becky's review of Girl Overboard, and became intrigued, but wasn't expecting much more than teenage romance with some travelogue stuff thrown in. I really was pleasantly surprised. Westminster Abby had quite a bit of substance, with just a little romance thrown in to mix it up a bit.

Abby Capshaw is a responsible, smart, and pretty 16 year old that is living with incredibly overprotective parents. They watch every move she makes, insists on straight A's, will not allow her to date until she is 17, and only will let her hang out at her friend Dani's house, no other extracurricular activities (outside of school of course). It is to Abby's amazement that her parents sign her up to participate in the S.A.S.S. program, shipping her to London for 10 entire weeks. Abby, who has proclaimed herself as "a little vanilla" is not a risk taker in any sense. She is terrified to travel to a strange country, alone, with only guidebooks as companions.

Soon after arriving in London, Abby surprises herself by making friends with an eccentric girl named Zoe, picking up a boyfriend named Ian, and letting her grades slip just a teensy bit. She learns more about herself than ever before and is determined to let the new Abby shine through. No more vanilla Abby! The London Abby has plenty of hot fudge and sprinkles, allowing her true personality to stand out and allow her to stand up for herself.

I really did enjoy this book, much more than I anticipated, and look forward to reading the rest in the series. There are 6 or 7 I think, not really sure on the exact number, but a bunch to keep me busy in coming weeks. Although, they will have to be put aside come tomorrow night, as everyone's favorite boy wizard will be my only reading for a few days. Thanks again to Becky for her review!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I haven't read all of the titles in this series yet. But I probably will make a point of it some day! There are always so many books that you want to read...and that you need to read. My list keeps growing day by day too!