Monday, August 6, 2007

The Book of Story Beginnings

This book made it on to our library shelves a month or so ago and I with my ever growing fascination of books about magic, it seemed like it would be a great read. Though a little disappointed in some parts, overall, I thought it was very creative and enjoyable.

The Book of Story Beginnings by Kristin Kladstrup begins when young Lucy Martin moves to Iowa with her family and into an old farmhouse her dad inherited from his Aunt Lavonne. While living there, Lucy hopes to dissolve the mystery of Lavonne's brother's disappearance back in 1914 where Lavonne swore he rowed off the yard and into the the middle of Iowa. Lucy finds the Book of Story Beginnings and discovers different stories that Oscar wrote, ending with rowing off into a vast ocean. Lucy begins to get suspicious and begins her own story, creating a girl whose father is a magician. Lucy's father soon becomes a magician! Unfortunately, though Lucy learns the Book of Story Beginnings actually makes the stories become reality, her magician father transforms himself into a bird and flies away! Lucy, with a little help from a friend, must find a way to reverse the stories, ultimately getting her father back.

The characters in this book were great! Some were funny, some very serious, and the plot flow always took me somewhere I least expected. The only part I was somewhat disappointed in was the introduction of the King and Queen on the island. Though the characters were well thought out and enjoyable, I wished the plot had gone somewhere else. Overall though, I really enjoyed the book and got my fill of magic for the day!


Kailana said...

Oh, this book looks interesting. I am going to add it to my wish list. :)

Becky said...

You know what is sad, Amanda. It took me a few days and a few reads of your review to remember that I had actually read this book last Fall. It was one of the few books that I read but didn't blog about. It's not that I didn't intend to blog about it. But one of those where if you don't blog about it within a week of reading it, that you completely lose the plot and can't remember what it is you were going to say about it. I liked the book though.