Friday, August 31, 2007

Booking Through Thursday...On Friday

Being that I don't have any reviews for today, I figured I would revert back to my old habit and do a Book Through Thursday meme. Who cares if it's Friday??! Read on...

There was a widely bruited-about statistic reported last week, stating that 1 in 4 Americans did not read a single book last year. Clearly, we don’t fall into that category, but . . . how many of our friends do? Do you have friends/family who read as much as you do? Or are you the only person you know who has a serious reading habit?
Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

I don't have nearly enough "reading friends." One of my close friends, Katie, a soon to be elementary ed teacher, reads a lot of the same stuff that I do and is constantly reading, as I am, she just doesn't read the quantity that I do. I don't know many folks that do (except bloggers of course :-). I have a couple of other friends that do read, but it's only once in awhile, so I'm almost alone in the group of readers.

My husband is also usually in the middle of a book, but he only reads right before bed or if we go on a long car trip, so it typically takes him at least a month to get one book done. The only recent exception to that was the latest Harry Potter novel...I think he got that one done in a week or so.

Growing up, my mom read every once in awhile, but it was usually magazines or the newspaper. Same as now, that's all she reads. My dad, shortly before he passed away, had started to get into reading, which was nice. I always wanted him to read his books to me, so he read me the collected works of Edgar Allen Poe (yeah, I was only 8) and then started to read the collected works of Sherlock Holmes. I still have the bookmark in the exact place it was when he died. He only got to page 52. :-(

I really wish my family would read more so they would understand when I was exacted about something that happened in a book or in the book world. At least I can talk about books with Katie or my boss/friend Ami at work. I do have some people!


Becky said...

It is nice to have people to talk about books with. I know one of the highlights of my week is Wednesdays. I get together with my friend, Julie, and we eat Italian and discuss books. Then we go to the library together. It really doesn't get much better :)

But I am really loving the blogging community as well, this past year has been so much fun for me. I love 'meeting' other bloggers who share my interests and really understand me. And it's easy to bond with fellow bloggers over books :)

Dewey said...

Yes, I agree with Becky. It's great meeting so many book lovers! I'm sorry to hear about your dad; what a precious memento that Sherlock Holmes book much be.

Literary Feline said...

As much as my father reads, when I ask him about a book he just read, I get a "It was okay" or "Eh". Rarely does it inspire a discussion. LOL I am lucky my husband doesn't mind all my book talk. He listens to me rant and rave about books he'll never read and doesn't ever complain. :-) Although, sometimes I notice his eyes glaze over . . .