Saturday, August 4, 2007

The City of Ember

So many people are feeling sad because the craziness of Harry Potter is over and they think they have nothing left to read. I also was wondering what series might capture me in the same way Potter did, realizing none could have quite that effect, but still be heart grabbing. Well, I've found two! The first being the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan, beginning with The Lightening Thief, which I'll review in a few days and the second being the Ember series by Jeanne DuPrau, beginning with The City of Ember. This book was totally original and I was quick to read through it, wanting to know what happened at the end. Of course, if you've read the book, you know the author left a wicked cliffhanger, so I have to hurry and check out the second one!

Nighttime is no stranger to Ember. In fact, it is always nighttime in Ember, though members of the city turn the huge lamps on during the day in order to conduct business and allow the citizens of Ember to enjoy a normal life. Beyond the lights lie the Unknown Regions, intense areas of vast darkness where many venture, but none make it past. The entire city truly believes that Ember is the only city on earth, until a couple of young, intelligent kids earn their jobs and begin an investigation that will forever change Ember.

Like all 12 year olds, when young Lina Mayfield and Doon Harrow begin their jobs working for the city, they are both curious about how the city actually operates. They quickly become knowledgeable on the extreme shortage of supplies with Ember and are determined to find a way out for help, even with the Mayor and practically the whole town working against them. Using a ripped up note Lina's grandmother found, the pair start piecing together clues as to how to save Ember and also begin to realize just what kind of city Ember is.

As I said, this book was totally original and I am so sorry I didn't pick it up before. I loved every minute and cannot wait to get to book number 2. I simply cannot imagine living my entire life in a city like Ember, but I'm really enjoying reading about it! If you're mourning Harry Potter being done, try this out. Or give Rick Riordan's series a try, that one is great as well!


Becky said...

So glad you enjoyed this one! I loved it. I think the whole series is fabulous :) If you want a similar read I'd recommend First Light by Rebecca Stead. But finish the Ember series first of course :)

And I'm glad you liked Percy Jackson. I think Riordan is great. :)

Kailana said...

I just got the first two books in the Ember series with my credit at the second hand store the other day. Glad to hear more good things about them!

Amanda said...

I have First Light in my wish list on Amazon Becky!!I'm hoping my husband will pick up on that pretty soon! ;-)

Susan said...

Oh, I enjoyed City of Ember as well, although the other members of my book club thought it was too strange. Glad to hear the rest of the series is good, too - I need to read the other books.