Friday, August 10, 2007

Marley & Me

I am so glad I used this book as a substitute in my Non-Fiction Five challenge. It was such a delight to read...I constantly had a smile on my face. I had heard so many wonderful things about this memoir, however just hadn't bothered checking it out of the library and now that I have, I can't wait to talk about it to as many people as possible. See, I have my own "Marley" at home and it gives me just the warmest feeling to know that someone loves their dog, even being a member of the "Bad Dog Club," as much as I love mine. Look for some pictures of my own "Marley" at the end of the post.

Marley & Me is written by John Grogan, the owner of the precocious Marley. He and his wife, Jenny, purchased the yellow lab from a breeder early on in their marriage, after being given a "clearance" price for that particular puppy. Marley grows with the couple, moving residences, participating in family raising and basically destroying things (though John and Jenny seem incredibly patient). This is, as the book's slogan states, the world's worst dog. It is also one of the best. Marley always keeps the family laughing, except when they're crying about something else he had broken or messed up in some. His terrifying fear of thunderstorms was somewhat comical, yet heartbreaking when he would harm himself trying to get away from the thunder. Marley was a family's worst nightmare, but the best thing that could happen to them as well.

I loved this book, I really did. I sat down and read it in one sitting, as it read like a quick novel, rather than a drawn out memoir. I would have loved to have seen pictures of Marley in action included in the pages, rather than only on the inside front and back over (which was mostly covered due to the stuck on dust cover). I'm sure he was a very photogenic dog, loving the limelight as he did! I really enjoyed reading about Marley's life and if you need a good laugh and a quick read, I completely encourage you to pick this up. Now for pictures of our "Marley, " meet Shae.

Shae is a crazy dog in every sense. She has boundless energy and throws her 55lb body at everyone who walks in the door. Good thing she has some terrier in her or she would be huge! She starts her hello wiggle from her tail and it works it's way all the tip of her nose. She wiggles her backside so hard that she often smacks herself in the eye with her tail. It's quite funny! She is house broken, yet can't break herself of digging in the backyard. If there's dirt, she'll dig. Just like Marley, Shae feels the need to take a gallon of water from her dish, in her mouth, and carry it with her through the house, spilling it everywhere. Unlike Marley, Shae is not a purebred Lab, but a mixed breed, Pit Bull terrier, the former making her feared of by many. The only thing this dog will do is lick you to death. She is definitely a lapdog, though not of the right size whatsoever. She will lick away tears and make you laugh until you cry all over again. She is our sweet, demonic, Shae.

4 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh, I'm so glad to see this glowing review! I also checked out "Marley and Me" from the library recently, after hearing such good things from so many people. I started it earlier today, but only had the chance to read about 10 pages. It looks wonderful though, and after reading your review, I can't wait to finish it :)

Like you, we have our own lovable pup dog. Ours is a golden/lab mix and he's a handful! We rescued him, so did not get him as a puppy, but as energetic as he is now, I can just imagine what he was like as a puppy :)

Have a great day, and Happy Reading!!!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

P.S. I wanted to see the photos of your Shae, but all I got were red x's. :(

Deena said...

Shae is gorgeous, and she is so lucky to have you as her "Mom"!

We have our own, a Jack Russell named Oreo, and she is loving and faithful...and at times dumb as a rock:-) She has a thing for men...but most men don't have a thing for her!

Kailana said...

I read this book last year and I really liked it! Nice to see other people enjoying it as much!