Sunday, August 12, 2007

The People of Sparks

I knew I would get hooked on Jeanne DuPrau's Ember series and I was right, however I wasn't entirely sold on the second book in the series...and a little disappointingly so. I liked it, I just got a little bored throughout the middle and was pretty much ready for it to be over by the time I turned the last page.

The People of Sparks is the second book in the Ember series, created by Jeanne DuPrau. In this installment, Lina and Doon, as well as their fellow citizens, have made it out of Ember and now are looking for food and shelter. It appears that the entire "above" world is empty, until they happen upon the people of Sparks. Sparks is a struggling town, one of the only one's left after the great Disaster, but they welcome the people of Ember. They share their food and their homes and begin teaching them how to farm and subsist on their own, with the promise that the Emberites will move on after 6 months due to the drastic depletion of the Spark's food supply. They agree to this, until they learn that six months will be in the dead of winter, meaning no food could possibly grow and no shelters could be built out of snow covered wood. The people of Ember start to believe that the people of Sparks are sending them off to freeze and starve to death. Arguments between the two groups ensue and acts of violence are committed against each other. Lina and Doon must find a way to end the fighting before a real war is begun.

I think this book had great potential, but it just didn't completely follow through. At least not for me. As I said, I was a little bored...not quite enough action happening for my liking. I still enjoyed the story and enjoyed the introduction of new characters into the mix and very much look forward to reading the next in the series.

No comments: