Saturday, August 18, 2007

Saturday Meme

One of my lovely blogger friends, Becky, posted a fun meme that I just had to steal/borrow. There just haven't been a lot of good booklover memes floating around lately, so when I saw this one, I just had to do it. After you're done with mine, go read Becky's...it's great!


What are you reading right now? I'm reading A Penny from Heaven by Jennifer Holm and just about to start The Last Summer of You and Me by Ann Brashares. I'm also listening to Inkspell by Cornelia Funke each night on my walks.

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that? I have a whole bunch to read! I think the first will be A Drowned Maiden's Hair by Laura Schlitz and then A Swift Pure Cry by Sioban Dowd. I also have new books coming to me in the mail, so that may break up the plans a bit.

What's the worst thing you were ever forced to read? The Great Gatsby or Candide. I know those are two favorites among a lot of literary bloggers, but I hated both. The first I was forced to read in high school and tried several times after that to reread, just to understand why people liked it so much. The second was an assignment in a Lit class in college. Another one I just didn't get and didn't enjoy.

What's the one book you always recommend to just about anyone? I know the question asks for one, but lately I have been equally recommending two books to everyone. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (Becky also chose this on her meme) and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Riordan's book I just completed this month, having put it off for awhile. I fell in love with the main character of Percy Jackson and can completely understand why people compare him to Harry Potter. Therefore, with HP ending, I've been telling everyone to read this. Before Percy Jackson came into my life, I was telling everyone to read Zusak's book. It affected me in a way a book never had before and I wanted other people to experience that.

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don't they? Well, since I work there...yes they do know me by name. :-) If I didn't work there, I'm sure they would, since I check out about 15 items (at least) a day. Mainly picture books, but still...they would know me. I just started going to the library here on the Air Force base and they are beginning to get to know me as well. The last time I was in there they had just gotten a whole bunch of brand new YA books in...one's I had been looking for...and I just had to check out all of them. All 15. They were laughing at me, not understanding how I would get them all done in two weeks. They'll learn quickly.

Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don't like it at all? The one series I'm always recommending, but no one ever follows up on, is the Series of Unfortunate Events, by Lemony Snicket. I LOVE those books, but adults don't understand that they could still enjoy them even if they are labeled as "kids" books. I get that a lot, especially at work...when my coworkers see me bringing back YA books or juvenile fiction books, they always pick on me, saying that I read little kid books too much. They don't understand!

Do you read books while you eat? While you bathe? While you watch movies or TV? While you listen to music? While you’re on the computer? I read pretty much everywhere. I do read when I eat, but only snacking...like popcorn or something like that at night. I do read when I watch movies, which absolutely drives my husband crazy, though I limit the reading to magazines since I do like to pay attention to what I'm watching. My husband has now made me promise one night a week to him to watch a movie and not read. Hehe...oops...I guess I got out of control. TV is fair game though, I always have a book on hand. On the rarity that I take a bath, I read in there, but it doesn't happen very often. And yes, when I'm on the computer, I do read. It depends on what I'm doing, but I find myself often with school, when I have a paper to write, I reward myself for writing 15 minutes straight, with one book chapter. It seems to work for me! I also read when we're in the car anywhere, when we're at the dog park, on break at work, on my swing, before bed, and listen to books while on walks. Good thing Aaron knew the books came with me when we got married!

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits? Yes, I was picked on for always having my nose in a book. In those 5 minutes before classes started in high school and college I was always reading away...and my study halls were never for messing around, they were for reading. I was a nerd and proud of it.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down? Does My Head Look Big in This? By Randa Abdel-Fattah. I loved that book...a review will be up tonight!

3 comments:

Debi said...

Uh oh...maybe I shouldn't say this... I absolutely loved the first few of A Series of Unfortunate Events, but by #6 I grew bored thinking they all just seemed too much alike. Maybe I should give them another shot?

Amanda said...

Yes, yes, try them! I really love them!

CoversGirl said...

What a great meme! I think I'll just borrow this myself.