Sunday, August 12, 2007

Welcome to Camden Falls

Ok, I'll admit it. I loved the Babysitter's Club series when I was younger. Loved it. I had every single book, special book, mystery book, Superspecial...every one (up to like 126, then I lost interest). Then stupid me went and sold them at a garage sale. What I was thinking, I don't know, but now I find myself scouring thrift stores for old copies, just to have possession of them again (NOT the ones with the new covers...yuck). Well now, Ms. Martin has introduced us to another series, one that centers on orphaned girls and their new life in a small town. Is it up to the Babysitter's Club level in my eyes? No. :-(

Welcome to Camden Falls follows Flora and Ruby as they move from the only home they've ever known to Camden Falls. They are going to live with their grandmother, Min, after their parents tragically die in a car accident. The girls are frightened and worried, as anyone would be, but they seem to handle the transition well. The girls and Min will live in a house connected to 8 other houses, which is lovingly named The Row Houses. All the neighbors love each other and have block parties all the time. Camden Falls is a lovely small town, where everyone knows everyone else and goes into Min's store, Needle and Thread to share the local gossip and to chat. The girls quickly make a myriad of friends, solve a mystery, and mourn their parents all in just about 125 pages.


This series could be great...I'll have to read the next installment to truly judge, but I think waay too much happened in the first novel. It got confusing at times. Were Flora and Ruby trying to deal with their parent's deaths or were they trying to solve the mystery of a shoplifter? Was Flora helping a neighbor starting to lose his mind to dementia or was she busy with sewing projects. Too much happening and too many characters had starring roles. However, Martin did that with the Babysitter's Club and I enjoyed that, so we'll see what happens after I read a couple more in the series.

3 comments:

Cee Cee said...

Don't you just love revisiting your reading youth? I hope the others turn out as special as the series you remember.

Fleiger said...

I think maybe it is a bit of a curse to be a starting book in a series. You have to introduce many new characters, and yet let people get a whiff of mystery/action whichever the genre be...

Stephanie said...

I love your reviews on children's books and YA books! I still like to read them myself. I think the babysitter books started after I got too old for them, so I didn't read any. I'm hoping my daughters will like them though.

I just got back from vacation and I'm trying to catch up with all my favorite blogs. I saw that you read Marly & Me! I'm just finishing it now. Lovely book, isn't it?