Thursday, September 20, 2007

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I only picked this book up because it had been recommended to me so many times by different bloggers and I know that they usually know what they're talking about! I actually really enjoyed ready this and found myself laughing out loud quite often!! It was quick, fun, and a book that I would really recommend to reluctant readers and die hard book fans alike.

Written entirely in journal format, with a few cartoons thrown in here and there, Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney is great for those not looking for the typical novel. Middle-schooler, Greg, writes in this journal throughout one year of school, recounting different events that happen to him on a daily basis. Geeky Greg and his even geekier sidekick Rowley get themselves into lots of mischief and are almost beaten up more than once. Always, Greg keeps a rather chipper attitude, always oblivious to why people don't see the hero inside of him.

This book was laugh-out-loud funny and a very quick read. I would love to read more of Kinney's work, mainly because I know I'll have a smile on my face the whole time! I believe there is another book coming out following Greg again and I can't wait to see what adventures and troubles that one holds!


max said...

It's true, I grew up hating to read. Now I write action-adventures & mysteries especially for boys 8 - 13, who also may not like to read.

NEWSPAPER CAPER, TERROR AT WOLF LAKE, NORTH WOODS POACHERS, MOUNTAIN CABIN MYSTERY, BIG RIG RUSTLERS, SECRET OF ABBOTT'S CAVE & LEGEND OF THE WHITE WOLF, are compared by readers and reviewers to Tom Sawyer, The Hardy Boys, Huck Finn, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, Scooby-Doo, Lemony Snicket, and adventure author Jack London.

My blog, Books for Boys, ranks in the top 5 on Yahoo and the top 20 on Google and you can find it at There you will also find links to my author's web site and another blog with 50 pages of reviews.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Max Elliot Anderson
Now, from an author who hated to read...comes books kids hate to put down.

Orange Blossom Goddess (aka Heather) said...

It sounds so cute!