Friday, September 14, 2007

Home and Other Big, Fat Lies

I loved this book with a capital L!!! A couple of months ago I read Jill Wolfson's first book, What I Call Life, loved that one, and Becky from Becky's Book Reviews suggested I read this one as well. What a great suggestion it was! I enjoyed this book so much more than the first and that was a hard feat to accomplish!

Home, and Other Big, Fat Lies follows Whitney, a supporting character in What I Call Life, as she heads off to her 12th foster home, way up in Northern California. As usual, Whitney begins life with this new family and school, as an outsider, but for once, doesn't remain that way for long. She discovers that she is one of a large number of foster children in the small community, mainly due to the bad economic times the logger families are experiencing. Fosters bring in money and therefore, the kids all think that as soon as the logging picks up again, they'll be shipped off somewhere else. They band together and form incredibly unique friendships based on this sad truth.

The other main focus of this short and often hysterically funny novel is the interest Whitney takes in nature. Her older foster brother teaches her all about the redwood forest and Whitney learns to think of it as home. She is devastated to learn that when the logging does in fact get back underway that their beloved part of the forest is the first part to be cut down. Whitney and her new brother, Striker, together with Whitney's friends, take a stand like no one in Forest Glen has ever done before, risking relationships, money, and family.

Whitney is probably one of the best characters ever created in literature. My opinion only, I know, but I loved her. She is so funny and hyperactive and asks the silliest questions, just making her more lovable. I laughed out loud more times than I can count and would truly recommend you all reading this book. Thanks again Becky!


Becky said...

Maybe now you can understand why I felt Higher Power of Lucky wasn't the *best* of the year. I just LOVED this one. And if you're gonna go with a kid in foster care, you've got to go with Whitney. :)

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Booklogged said...

I teach study skills to teens who are all in foster care and just finished reading Higher Power of Lucky. I'm putting these two books on my TBR list. Thanks for the great review, Amanda.