Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Real

The more books I read in this series, the more I love them! The women are becoming so real to me, almost like real people that I know. I think that's the reason I love series books so much... the reader has the chance to connect with the characters and their ongoing stories in more than just one book. I also feel inspired after reading these novels. Inspired to get even closer to God than I already am and explore other ways to strengthen my relationship with him. I completely relate to Jodi and her dilemma of being too selfish in prayer sometimes and it's great to see a character work that out in their lives.

For those of you that have not had the pleasure of beginning this series as of yet, my review does contain some spoilers about the first and second novels. Just be aware of that as you read on!

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Real is the third installment in the popular series by Neta Jackson. The characters, especially Jodi Baxter, are continuing to grow within their group and with their faith as individuals. Jodi is still struggling with nightmares concerning the death of a boy she hit while driving and also with having the brother of that boy in her classroom fighting problems. Avis has a new man in her life, making all of the Yada Yada girls happy, but isn't sure she's ready to move on with a relationship, believing she made the promise to her deceased husband to stay true for a lifetime. Florida finally has her daughter, Carla, living with her again, but Carla is definitely showing signs of rebellion and Florida's lazy husband doesn't seem to be much of a help anymore. All of these issues are taking place, but the women are still making time to visit Becky Wallace, the woman who held up one of the prayer meetings and robbed the woman, in jail. They band together and pray about whether or not they are strong enough to write a letter asking for Becky's early parole.

A lot goes on in the Yada Yada books, but not so much that you can't keep track. Each of the characters are so distinct in their differences that telling them apart has never been a problem for me, even if there are 12 women in the prayer group! I love reading about these women's problems, as well as their happy times, because they are so very real. Each of the situations the women encounter throughout the books could really happen and probably have happened to many people. Jackson takes this strange menagerie of women and gives them the bond of faith in Jesus, the best bond of all. That allows them to help each other through struggles and good times. This was a great addition to the series and look forward to reading book 4!

I also wanted to say that I am so lucky to have my own version of the Yada Yada Prayer group. I'm blessed to be part of an online prayer group, started by my sister-in-law and some friends in Illinois. The group has also expanded to included women in Pennsylvania, Utah, and myself in New Mexico. We have about 12 members in all and it's a fantastic bible study group. I love having my own Yada Yada sister group! Love you girls!

No comments: