Thursday, October 4, 2007

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie

If my boss hadn't recommended this book, I never would have read it and therefore would never have had the amazing reading experience that I did last night. I know that I will rave about this book for years and years to come and will forever be recommending it to children and adults.

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie was written by Jordan Sonnenblick and follows Steven Alper, a young man that loves playing the drums, loves looking at pretty girls (especially Renee), and really dislikes having a younger brother. 7 year old Jeffrey is almost half Steven's age, yet gets into twice as much trouble and is definitely twice as annoying. When Jeffrey is diagnosed with leukemia and proceeds to get very sick, Steven's entire life is turned upside down. His days are no longer filled with simple drum practices, homework, or girl chasing. They are filled with a sick little brother that loves him more than anything and expects him to be the brave one.

As the reader learns more about Jeffrey and Steven, we learn what a brotherly bond is truly about. We learn what true friendships are and what really matters in life. If this book had been written this year, it would be my number one choice for middle grade fiction. Unfortunately it was originally published in 2004, making it a few years too late! However long ago it was written, this was an amazing story, one that I would recommend over and over again to adults and children alike. It was funny, sad, and so real. If you're like me and are just being introduced to this book, RUN out and get it from a bookstore or a library. If you've read it before, go back and enjoy it again. You won't regret it.


Becky said...

I do love this one. It is so great. And Notes From A Midnight Driver is great too. I just love Sonnenblick's writing :) And he does have a new book out this year called Zen and the Art of Faking It...although, it can't really surpass Drums Girls and Dangerous is still a good book.

Kate S. said...

I'd never heard of this one until now. It sounds marvellous. Great title too! I must track down a copy.