Monday, October 15, 2007

Finding Grace

Quirky is the main word that comes to mind when I try to describe this book. It is very much a quirky story about a very quirky girl that is employed by quirky people. Rachel has just graduated from high school and is about to start courses at the university when she is hired by a local attorney to care for a brain damaged woman named Grace. She begins the job believing it will be a piece of cake and without a whole lot of compassion for Grace, though once she starts finding out a little more about who Grace was before the accident, that mentality slowly begins to change. Rachel becomes determined to make Grace have the best life she can, even if Grace herself doesn't understand that.

This story, written by Alyssa Brugman, was both heart-wrenching and humorous (did I mention it was quirky?). All of the characters were incredibly honest within themselves, though the reader doesn't discover those bits until the end of the novel. I loved how Rachel grew into herself and helped Grace to continue to grow, even in her brain damaged state. The descriptions of situations, surroundings, and people are excellent....and quirky!!


Debi said...

I'm not sure this one would have caught my eye, but after reading your review, I'm definitely adding it to my someday list! Thanks, yet again, Amanda!

Amanda said...

Wow Debi, I really do add to your TBR list! :-)