Wednesday, October 10, 2007

First Light

First Light by Rebecca Stead is told by two narrators. The first, Peter, is the son of a glaciologist and a genetic scientist. He is thrilled when his parents decide to take him on an expedition to Greenland, where they will be studying different aspects of glacier ice caps and the effects of global warming. Thea, the other narrator, lives in a city underneath the ice in Greenland, called Gracehope. Thea and Peter meet accidentally and without warning, the two worlds collide in what could be disaster.

The novel was a bit slow in the beginning, but picked up in pace and excitement towards the middle. The was very reminiscent of Jeanne DuPrau's City of Ember books, though I almost liked the setting in First Light better. It has been said that people can really survive surrounded by who knows if there really is a Gracehope out there! :-)

I was a little disappointed in this title, though I very much enjoyed just wasn't quite as fabulous as everyone has said. I think that's why I would much rather read a book before so many other people get their hands on it, that way my view isn't skewed and I don't get my expectations too high! At any rate, I still enjoyed the book, it was well written and I look forward to seeing other works from this author. Another Fall Into Reading Challenge book completed!


amisare waswerebeen said...

I just stumbled on your blog and thought it was so funny that you are in Alamogordo. That's my hometown. I also met my husband while he was stationed there. Do me a favor and stare at the beautiful sunset for me. I miss it. Feel free to email me sometime at

Debi said...

Sounds like a good one! Even if I never get around to reading, I know my daughter would love it.