Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Just Listen

Now I know why everyone raves about Sarah Dessen books. This book was fabulous and completely captures the way broken way in which some teenagers go about their daily lives, yet never telling anyone.

Annabel appears to have the perfect life. She's a successful model, gets pretty good grades in school, and has a lot of friends. That all comes crashing down around her after one night at a party. The reader doesn't get to find out what significance the party holds until the end of the book, but from the beginning we know that whatever it was completely altered Annabel's perfect life. Her friends stop talking to her, except to call her horrible names, she is losing her sister to an eating disorder, and since she continues to keep everything bottled inside, she slowly breaks down.

Until she meets Owen. Owen is another social misfit at school, one known for fighting and anger problems. When he and Annabel slowly become friends, they both seem to change both internally and externally. They help each other to grow as people and their friendship begins to be a bit more. Unfortunately, life once again rears up to bite them and the Annabel must figure out what parts of her life are truly important.

Just Listen was a great young adult novel and one teen girls can not only enjoy, but also learn from. It deals with very serious issues, but Sarah Dessen approaches them in a way that teens will relate to. It was a quick read, but one that I enjoyed immensely.


Becky said...

Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors. Though I haven't blogged about her since I read all of her books prior to starting my blog. But I look forward to eventually reading them all again just so I can. (I'm weird, aren't I?) Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it! She has a new book, Lock and Key, coming out in 2008!

Mollie said...

Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite teen authors. Just Listen was good but my favorites were The Truth About Forever and This Lullaby. I don't know if you've read her but Elizabeth Scott's has a simialar writing style her book is called Bloom.