Thursday, October 18, 2007

On Tour with Amy Grant

Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far, written by bestselling Christian music artist Amy Grant, is an excellent compilation of poems, song lyrics, and narrative. Grant takes different, memorable scenes from her life as a daughter, wife, mother, Christian, and singer and places them all in to this book in a manner that reflects her loving, kind, and down-to-earth personality. The reader gets to see the inner soul of Grant, as she digs deep into her life and presents a unique memoir full of honesty.

Many quotes in this book stood out to me, though one remains strongest in my mind and it was written in the introduction. Amy was describing a visit to Minnie Pearl, her daughter's namesake, where Minnie stated that the most important color in an artist's palette is black. Black adds depth to things, without black we would all be flat. Amy responds to this by saying "In our lives the darkest times, the days that are bleak and black, add depth to every other experience. Like the dark bits of color in a mosaic, they add the contrast and shadows that give beauty to the whole, but they are just a small part of the big picture." This quote had an immediate effect on me, simply because it is so very true. Parts of our lives are black and dreary. We are unhappy, the world seems to be falling down around us, but in the whole of our lives, that black just adds depth to the light. The good things in life wouldn't seem so good without the bad.

I also loved the inclusion of the song lyrics, especially some of those from the late eighties and early nineties. "Ask Me" has always been one of my favorite songs, but I haven't heard it in so long. Reading the lyrics reminded me just how powerful the song has always felt to me and how much soul is really in the words Amy Grant sings.

I am so glad I was chosen to review this book, as I loved it so much. Amy Grant can not only sing and bring me closer to the Lord with her voice, she can also write. I am going to cherish this book and read it again and again...not to mention give it to all of my friends for Christmas! Speaking of giving...I have one copy to giveaway, so leave a comment before Monday night and I'll pick a winner to get a copy!


Clare Dudman said...

Hi Amanda, I see from Hidden side of the leaf that you are embarking on the read-a- thon tomorrow - just wishing you good luck.

Amanda said...

Thanks so much Clare, good luck to you too!!!

Ashley said...

Hi Amanda, I grew up listening to Amy Grant and have always loved her songs! This sounds like a great book. Can't wait to check it out!

cipriano said...

Amanda: Thank you so much for this posting. I was so shocked to see it, as I clicked over, because I was just looking at this book last night, when I saw it for the first time on a BIOGRAPHY display table at the Chapters bookstore. It looks so good.
I have always loved Amy, and her music.
I just think she is the sweetest thing, ever. I saw her once, performing at a Billy Graham crusade, and I filmed her songs.
By the way, Amanda, I have her latest DVD. It's called Amy Grant Time Again.... and it is a gorgeous concert from Bass Hall in Fort Worth, Texas. It is amazing. I highly recommend it.
I love, most of all, her songs "1972", "Out In The Open" and "Lead Me On."
All the best to you, Amanda.
-- Cip