Sunday, October 21, 2007

Post-Reading Survey

I had so much fun with the Read-a-Thon and Dewey has kindly asked us to participate in a post-reading survey. Much obliged Dewey!

Post Read-a-thon Survey

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?

Probably the last hour that I read. I only made it until about 1:30, which is quite late for me to be staying up. With only the dog to keep me company I fell asleep much too easily. I would have loved to have made the full 24 hours!

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?

Any short enough to be finished in an hour or two. That's how I kept going. If you're looking for action, check out The Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix or the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, though that one is a bit long.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?

The only suggestion I have is that possibly with the challenges, either make them all one hour long only, or all for the entirety of the Read-a-thon. Dewey did a good job of keeping track of which were one hours and which were whole challenge ones, but I often forgot to check back each hour and missed out on the shorter challenges.

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?

I loved the cheerleaders! They were such great motivators and it was awesome to go back to check my blog and see so many comments.

5. How many books did you read?

8 Total, though I started 2 additional.

6. What were the names of the books you read?

Quilts From Heaven by Lucinda Secrest McDowell

Violet Bing and the Grand House by Jennifer Paros

The Quail Club by Carolyn Marsden

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Miracle Dog by Randy Grim

Dear Baby Girl by Jane Orcutt

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Here's Lily by Nancy Rue

I also started Finding Alice by Melody Carlson and These High, Green Hills by Jan Karon.

7. Which book did you enjoy most?

The Looking Glass Wars. It was fantastic!

8. Which did you enjoy least?

Violet Bing and the Grand House. I've heard lots of positive reviews about this book, but I really didn't like it.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?

Not applicable

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?

I will definitely participate again! Most likely I would be a reader again, though if something were to get in the way of that I would be a cheerleader.

6 comments:

Dewey said...

I think the advice about choosing shorter books is really great. But as for the mini-challenges, if they all lasted the entire readathon, there wouldn't be the fun and motivation of winning prizes here and there, and it would be overwhelming for everyone at the end. And if they all lasted one hour, there'd only be a few participants per hour. But of your two suggestions, I think I'd prefer having them all last only one hour. I'll think about that and consider everyone's suggestions and see what I think next year! Thanks so much for participating.

3M said...

Great job! It was a blast.

Becky said...

Personally, not that anyone is asking me, I would think that having challenges open for two hours at a time would work better. 24 is a bit too long, but one hour is awfully short. There were a few times where I didn't think to check the site--or couldn't check the site--until ten or fifteen minutes before the hour was up. Then if the challenge was a "must" I had to scramble, scramble, scramble to participate. I think twelve challenges would still be a lot to offer and is slightly more realistic than twenty-four.

Eva said...

Congrats on finishing! I'll have to check out the Looking Glass Wars. :)

alisonwonderland said...

wow, you read a lot of books! well done!

Cee Cee said...

Wow! You read a lot!