Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree

This book reminded me SO much of Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl. From the first page I could see how much the two characters were alike and how this book was going to end up being just as big a hit as Stargirl has been over the past couple of years.

Emma-Jean is definitely not your typical seventh-grader. She is incredibly smart, yet not very socially accepted. She is seen as weird by her fellow students and doesn't really have any friends, but has never let that bother her and actually appears quite happy with her life. Inspired by her late father, she looks at the world and the people in it with a scientific eye. After a brief encounter in the girl's bathroom with one of the more popular girls in school, Emma-Jean decides to take on the role as "classmate problem solver" and help to fix the many issues her classmates seem to be suffering from, though each solution bringing more than she bargained for to light.

This was a very refreshing book and one I really feel middle school students can and will enjoy. It is great to read books that are written about abnormal children or kids that simply do not blend in with everyone else, yet are perfectly fine with that fact. So many stories are written about wanting to fit in and needing to gain social acceptance, yet this, like Stargirl shows the reader that being different can be perfect.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Amanda,
I have middle school students at home, and I always enjoy reading your young adult reviews! I have made suggestions for our library based on your reviews! Keep them coming! Young Adult books are good reads for adults too!

Kim
berlysue.blogspot.com

Charley said...

I thought this book was so sweet. I haven't read Stargirl, so I can't compare, but I liked it in the same way I liked A Crooked Kind of Perfect.