Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Fairy-Tale Detectives

Oh what a fun series Michael Buckley has created in The Sisters Grimm! In this first installment we are introduced to Daphne and Sabrina, sisters that are sent to live with their eccentric grandmother, whom they've always believed to be dead, after their parents mysteriously disappear. The girls learn that they are the decedents of the infamous Brothers Grimm, creators of the well-known fairy tales, which turn out to actually be case files, rather than made-up stories, which the girls are now expected to help solve.

The girls and their grandmother set out to solve the case of a giant set on the loose by an EverAfter, which happens to be a magical being from one of the "fairy-tales" posing as a normal human being. Who knew Snow White taught elementary school?! Sabrina and Daphne must not only learn all the rules of being Grimms, but also help to save the EverAfter world from the horrific giant.

This was such a wonderful story! I had a smile on my face the whole time I was reading and I'm already looking forward to the second book in the series. It is such a creative concept for a book and such fun!

6 comments:

Katya said...

I love this idea. I'm going to go check this book out.

Faith said...

Amanda, I've read the first 3 books (have the fourth on my list I'm taking to the library today), and they are just wonderful. I know you'll love the sequels.

Kim said...

This sounds awesome! I'm going to see if our library has this series! Thanks for introducing something new to me! I love children's books!!

Kim

Boudicca said...

My twins and I loved the first book :) We just haven't gotten around to reading the others. I should go get the from the library today!

Debi said...

My daughter absolutely loves this series! I've got this one on my 1st in a Series challenge list, and am really looking forward to it!

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

I love fantasy. This book sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks for the great review.

Becky