Friday, January 25, 2008

I like Memes!!

I've been tagged!!

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews? I can honestly say that as much as I enjoy the man's personality in interviews and in his monthly Entertainment Weekly column, I cannot enjoy a Stephen King novel. I've tried several times, but aliens and overt supernatural things are just not my cup of tea. The first book I read was in high school. It happened to be The Tommyknockers and after reading the part about the alien possessed Coke machine, I just couldn't look at a Stephen King book the same way again. I don't watch the movies either.

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be? Such a fun, yet difficult question! I would love to have a book club meeting with Hermione from the Harry Potter novels and Liesel from The Book Thief, as well as Klaus from A Series of Unfortunate Events.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): You are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realize it's past time to die. What book would you expect to get you a nice grave?
At this point in my reading life, I skip the boring books. For this question I can only draw from books I was "forced" to read in high school/college that I truly did not enjoy. Though if I went back to read them now I just may love them. The two that come to mind are Sophie's Choice and The Heart of Darkness.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book you really thought you had read only to realize when you read a review about it/go to "reread" it that you haven't? Which book? Well after reading Perfect Match about 4 years ago, I became slightly "Jodi Picoult" obsessed and bought everything she had ever written. I thought I had read them all as soon as I got them, but after starting to reread Mercy last summer I realized I had never opened it.

You're interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who's not a big reader). What's the first book you'd recommend and why? (If you feel like you have to know the person, go ahead and personalize the VIP) I would recommend The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Though not exactly a "cheerful" story, it is one I feel passionate about and therefore could recommend to a "non-reader" very well.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?
I would love to be able to read in Spanish or Italian. Such beautiful languages.

A mischievous fairy comes and says you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick? I would reread Clementine. That book made me laugh harder than just about any other book I have ever read. Everyone needs a good laugh on a regular basis.

What's one "bookish" thing you discovered from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art - anything)?
I have completely expanded the genres that I read, as well as the amount of books I read each year. Other bloggers motivate me to pick up books I would normally pass over, as well as to read faster to get to more good ones!

The good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favorite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead - let your imagination run free. I would SO love to really be able to design this. Like most people have answered, I want floor to ceiling book cases....with those fun wheeled ladders to get to the top shelves. I want a fire place (eco-friendly) and a big sectional couch with a chaise at one end (micro-suede please). I also would like a little stove in order to make hot cocoa, popcorn, and anything chocolate related. I want hardwood floors with area rugs, big shuttered windows, and plants. Lots of plants!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Fun answers, Amanda. I'm glad you like memes :)

Literary Feline said...

I've only read two Stephen King books and he's definitely one of those hit and miss authors for me. Not all of his books (nor most of his movies) appeal to me. I don't think his writing is for everyone, that's for sure.

Another book club meeting. I did that too. :-)