Thursday, February 21, 2008

10 Kids, No Pets by Ann M. Martin

I knew when I signed up for Becky's Heart of a Child challenge, this book had to be on my list. I read 10 Kids, No Pets and it's sequel 11 Kids, One Summer, probably about 100 times over the course of my childhood and I was all too happy to have a reason to pick the book up again. It's a very simply story, but one that has always held my attention, not to mention made me wish I had a lot more siblings!

Each chapter in this book for middle grade readers is told from the perspective of one of the many Rosso children. Each are blessed with a somewhat unusual name, such as Bainbridge, Faustine, Dagwood, and Eberhard. Their mother started naming them using the letter A and working her way through the alphabet with each new child, ending up with 10 children, and 10 unusual names (except for Abigail of course).

When the Rosso family moves from New York City to a big farmhouse in New Jersey, they know it's the perfect time to convince their parents to let them get a pet. She has always said that 10 kids are plenty enough animals for one family, but now that they have lots of room the kids know they can show her how responsible they are and just how important an animal is to them. Working their way through rabbits, turkeys, and birds, the Rosso children try to convince their mom, but with no luck. Once mom shares a surprise of her own though, the children may just get what they wished...and more than they bargained for!

This is an adorable story that both girls and boys can enjoy. I always loved trying to read the book outloud to my brother and probably butchering the kid's names in the process. Now that my verbal skills are a bit more enhanced, maybe I'll give the reading outloud another shot to my own children.


Chrissy said...

I think i'm going to have to check this book out! Although there are only 5 in our household...
My kids are onto this new book we got the other day called Archy the Flying Dolphin.
My daughter came home from school and said all the kids have this book and if we could get it. I tried to explain to her that we can't always have everything someone else has, but i said i would make an exception. After reading this with the kids, it's one of the best books i've read in a long time! I'm so glad we got it. I can't stop the kids talking about it!

Ms.N said...

Hey, just wanted to say that ur blog is such a good source for kids/young adults books!!!!

though - my library (in idia) doesnt seem to have any of these - i am still looking though!