Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Animals Are Sleeping

After reading this adorable book, I have added a new favorite bedtime story to my list!

Animals Are Sleeping by Suzanne Slade and illustrated by Gary Phillips is great for putting children down for naps or bedtime and perfect just for a simple story time as well. Not only a soothing, "sleepy time" book, but also a great educational tool, teaching kids about animals and their sleeping habits. Each page exhibits a new animal, sleeping of course, illustrated beautifully with soft colors in calming, flowing strokes. The reader can use a whisper voice in order to ready the child to sleep, getting quieter with each "shh, shh."

The last few pages of the book explain what each pictured animal is, as well as a fact fill-in to use as the children learn more about the animals of the story. You can start by reading this book to infants, as I certainly plan to do, and because of the educational factors, the story can grow with the child. This has definitely become a favorite in my house and I know I won't be able to keep it on the shelves at the library either.


Beckyb said...

yes - I loved this one too!!! Very nice!

Gavin said...

I must admit that one of the biggest attractions in children's books is the artwork. Looks like a winner.