Friday, March 14, 2008

Baby: An Owner's Manual

At first glance, I was entirely sure I would get a whole lot of information from this book. It appeared to be another "help the new mommy" baby book that would probably contain all the info that all the other books I've looked at had. However....I was completely wrong! Yes, the book does contain some repeat information that I've heard many times, but repetition for a first time mom-to-be like myself is never a bad thing!

The full title being Baby: An Owner's Manual, A Beloved Pediatrician Answers Your First 365 Phone Calls, written by Dr. Bud Zukow and Nancy Sayles Kaneshiro, this awesome book has a huge range of questions that all new moms probably want answered. From circumcision care to cradle cap, cloth diaper use to having the baby sleep in your bed, this guide really does cover it all. The answers the doctor gives to the questions are in plain English, not "doctor-speak," which is a definite plus over all those other baby books out there.

Though I may not have learned a whole lot of brand new information from Baby: An Owner's Manual, I did get a whole lot of clarification on issues I had slight confusion on, as well as a valuable doctor's opinion on my husband's and I's biggest baby argument...cloth diapers! I definitely recommend this for all new moms and mamas-to-be. It's a great baby manual and definitely a huge step above a lot of the rest.


Annie the Superfast Reader said...

Cloth diapers are the best! My daughter is 4 months old and we are almost 100% cloth diapering. She has never had diaper rash. We only have a washer that hooks up to our sink, and no dryer so I line dry, but there is something really really fun about diaper laundry. I can't quite explain it but they are just so cute and awesome that I love to do things with them :)

We were not a fan of prefolds... never got the hang of folding so we had leak issues. I really like Kissaluvs contours--they are not that expensive and they actually work really, really well.

Oh, cloth diapers!! They are just so much fun. Mothering Magazine has a big article about them this month.

Susan said...

Kudos to Annie and all of the moms who use cloth diapers. I'm not one of them, and I don't understand why anyone would choose to use them but that's just me. Probably the best thing to do is wait and see what works best for you.

Have you read The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy by Vicky Iovine? That was my favorite pregnancy book. She also has one on surviving the first year.

Amanda said...

Annie: Funny enough, the book actually advises against using cloth diapers, but of course that's just one person's opinion. I would love to use them, but with working full time I'm not sure they would be the most time efficient method.

Susan: I haven't read The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy yet, but it's on my nightstand waiting to be picked up! Thanks for the tip!

Annie the Superfast Reader said...

Why would he advise against them? It's a pretty neutral thing, healthwise. Seems strange for a doc to care about. I can see not using them if you are working out of the home full time, but since I work from home I have time for laundry.

Anyway, I'd be curious to know his reasons.

Andrea said...

I will have to add this to my list! I don't know much about newborns so I have a lot to learn. Does your husband want to use cloth diapers?

Keep giving me more baby book reviews, especially if you read The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. :-)

Amanda said...

Annie: I think his words were something along the lines of "cloth diapers are much more time consuming and can lead to more instances of diaper rash." That's not a direct quote though, I don't have the book in front of me. I don't think he was saying not to ever use them, he just personally didn't care for the idea. As for me, I would love to, if I had the time, for cost reasons, not to mention saving a bit of the environment!

Andrea: Yes, it's my husband that is pushing the idea of using the cloth versus disposable. I'm in agreement with everything he says, I just don't think it's going to be very time efficient.

Annie the Superfast Reader said...

Time consuming, I can see. Diaper rash is just not true anymore--diapers have really come a long way. Disposables are more likely to cause rash b.c of the chemicals & the wicking.

You know, you could alway try them part time, like in weekends. Every little bit helps the environment.

Okay, I'll stop trying to sell you on them :)

My favorite pregnancy & birth books are the Sears books. Girlfriend's Guide was not for me, but maybe you will like it. Good luck on yoyr journey--

Susan said...

Tell your husband that if he will wash out and clean the cloth diapers, you will use them. That should change his mind pretty darn quick.