Saturday, March 15, 2008

Graphic Universe Series

So...I'm going out on a limb here, waiting to here the wrath of those readers that looove this genre, but I am not typically a graphic novel fan. I didn't read comic books when I was a kid and to me, graphic novels are just thick comic books, making me shy away. This series, however, though it may not be my cup of tea, seems perfect for those readers that do enjoy graphic novels and want to learn something through the reading process.



Graphic Universe is a series put out by Lerner Publishing that includes 22 different books covering a huge span of myths and legends. At my library, myths are an extremely popular category, as are graphic novels and until this series came along, I can't say we ever had a combination of the two. From Atalanta, a Greek myth to The Hero Twins, a Mayan myth the series spans a ton of different countries and includes many of the most popular myths and legends, as well as some I had never heard of. There is the popular Jason and King Arthur and the not-so-well known Sunjata and Yu the Great.

Each book includes a glossary and word pronunciation guide, further reading and website lists, an index, and just how the author created the graphic telling of famous myths and legends. As I've said, I'm not a huge fan of graphic books, but I know these will circulate well at our library, have a high interest level in kids and teens, and are educational as well, making it quite the successful series.

No comments: