Friday, March 21, 2008

Life As We Knew It

I thought I was one of the last readers to finally get their hands on this book, but lately I've been seeing quite a few reviews around the blogs I frequent, so maybe I wasn't last! I actually am almost glad it took me until February to get a hold of a copy, now I only have to wait a few months for the sequel, rather than an entire year. :-)

Miranda is a typical teenager in high school, worrying about friends, boys, and homework when her world is suddenly thrown off kilter. Scientists begin predicting a strong meteor shower, one that everyone is highly anticipating watching and when the night comes, it's like a movie theater in everyone's backyards. One of the meteors strikes the moon, resulting in a shift closer to Earth. Though, at first, this doesn't seem like a big deal to Miranda, she soon learns how important the moon is in her everyday life.

Tides shift, causing coastal cities and states to become completely submerged under the ocean. Tsunamis and earthquakes are constantly occurring, along with severe food and gas shortages. Soon, Miranda and her family must learn to survive without a food source, electricity, or any of the luxuries they are used to living with. Tough, often devastating decisions must be made daily, making life as the family knew it, basically over.

After reading Pfeffer's book, I can certainly see why it sparked such a phenomenon among readers. Though we've all read books related to this concept before, Life As We Knew It definitely stood out as a unique page turner. Miranda could have been me a few years ago and her reactions to the situations going on around her were spot on. I loved reading a page and then sitting back and thinking about what I would do if I were experiencing the same things as Miranda and her family. Not to mention Pfeffer described the disaster in such a manner that it really left me thinking...what if? This is an excellent book for teens and adults, one every library should have and will have trouble keeping stocked. The sequel comes out late spring, so keep you're eyes peeled!

5 comments:

Joy said...

It was most definitely a very poignant and realistic read. It got me thinkin'!

Bohae said...

You are definitely NOT the last - I still haven't picked it up...yet...sigh...

Gavin said...

*sigh* I'm another one who hasn't read it yet.
Thanks for the heads-up :)

Nymeth said...

You're not the last one! In fact I hadn't even heard of it until recently. But now I really, really want to read it. It sounds great.

Nicole said...

I just found out about this book from Book Addiction who linked to you. I'm defintely going to get a copy of this soon.